MEAL Coordinator, Baidoa – Somalia (1 Position)
MEAL Team Leader
Baidoa (South West State)
locally hired position
Area of Operation:
South West State of Somalia
Starting in May 2020, one year with the possibility of extension
FCA works to enable people to break the circle of poverty and violence. We are a rights-based actor, a Finnish organization with 70 years of experience, with operations in 15 countries. FCA is Finland’s largest NGO in development cooperation and second largest provider of disaster relief. Our action is guided by international human rights standards and principles. We realize our mission and vision through development cooperation, humanitarian assistance and advocacy work. We contribute to positive change by supporting people in the most vulnerable situations within fragile and disaster-affected areas. We consider three thematic areas as central to sustainable change: the right to peace (R2P), livelihood (R2L) and quality education (R2QE).
In Somalia and Somaliland FCA has been working under a right to peace thematic areas since 2008 including governance and reconciliation projects and later has expanded in quality education (R2QE) thematic area.
Primary purpose of the position:
Under the direct supervision of the MEAL Team Leader, the MEAL Coordinator will be based in Baidoa and support FCA Somalia, particularly its Baidoa office on the overall MEAL activities. Specifically, the MEAL Coordinator will be responsible for developing and implementing best-practices of systematic MEAL tools and approaches. The Coordinator will also support training of staff on data collection, data analysis and reporting, analysis of results, and development of products and tools to disseminate the findings of surveys and assessments.
- Supporting MEAL Team Leader to develop and plan monitoring, evaluation, documentation, learning and research activities within FCA Somalia Country Programme and its projects, specifically for projects that will be assigned by the MEAL Team Leader.
- Assisting MEAL Team Leader in rolling out FCA’s MEAL guidelines, practices and tools.
- Conducting assessments, collecting and analyzing the data and drafting report and information for the evidence-based design of FCA country programmes and projects.
- Supporting MEAL Team Leader to track progress against the MEAL indicators of the country programme and the assigned projects including coordination of monthly data analysis and preparation of monthly program monitoring reports.
- Ensuring monthly updates of MEAL database and Activity Tracking Table for the assigned projects.
- Collecting and maintaining data management for rapid assessments, situational analysis, surveys, evaluations and other research as required.
- Supporting MEAL Team Leader in the design of tools and methods, execution and drafting results for household, KAP, and perception and beneficiary satisfaction surveys.
- Under the supervision of MEAL Team Leader, supporting the assigned projects to establish tools, methods and approach for setting up FCA accountability system including complaint response mechanism, in line with FCA’s policies and guidelines.
- Ensuring active participation of the local partners, and other stakeholders in project monitoring and evaluation system .
- Supporting MEAL Team Leader, Business Development Manager and Programme Manager to ensure disseminations of lessons and best practice in governance, education and livelihood programmes.
- Under the direct guidance of MEAL Team Leader, establishing and maintaining feedback mechanisms of FCA programme and the assigned project for decision making.
- Adapting accountability and quality tools to ensure accountability in programming
- Integrate mobile technology and other innovative solutions where feasible.
- Being the focal point for FCA MEAL Community of Practice in South West state of Somalia
- Performing any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Required knowledge & skills:
· Minimum 5 years field experience in Programme and Project Monitoring and Evaluation in humanitarian and development contexts with national or international NGO in Somalia.
· Sound experiences in the design of tools and methods for data collection, data analysis, report writing of surveys, assessments and evaluations
· Experience with the use of ICT for Monitoring and Evaluation
· Experience in GIS software is an asset
· Knowledge of human rights-based approach and sectoral understanding in education, governance, and emergencies preferred
· Bachelor or master’s degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Sciences, Monitoring & Evaluation, Research Techniques or related fields.
- Understanding of the concept of accountability and its implications in monitoring and evaluation.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze quantitative and qualitative data and use it for high quality reporting and learning.
- Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge through informal and formal training.
- Previous experience with developing PME tools.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Somali.
- Computer proficiency in word processing, Power Point, database, spreadsheet and graphics presentations and other applications.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to (cultural) diversity and gender issues;
· Ability to work in a high-risk security area.
The selected incumbent will be firstly provided with a probation period of 3 months. The MEAL Coordinator will report to the MEAL Team Leader. The compensation is based on FCA Compensation System.