Job Title Media Trainer
Organization BBC Media Action
BBC Media Action
BBC Media Action is the BBC’s international development charity. We use the power of media and communication to help reduce poverty and support people in understanding their rights. Our aim is to inform, connect and empower people around the world. We work in partnership with broadcasters, governments, non-governmental organizations and donors to share reliable, timely and useful information.
We seek to recruit a National Media Trainer for a new governance project, designed to contribute to ‘increasing participation and trust in political processes among Somali citizens. BBC Media Action will use media and communications to enhance engagement in political and civic processes in Somalia through increasing knowledge and understanding about political and civic rights, responsibilities, processes and issues, as well as creating space for constructive dialogue. The role will be based in south central Somalia.
To enhance capacity of BUILD project Radio Producers with a wide range of conceptual and practical tools they can draw on programming and promoting civic greater rights of participation with governance processes.
· Train group producers/presenters (trainees) on putting democratic processes at the heart of their program production.
· To guide trainees around the production of a media content that is aligned to the BUILD project drama which will respond to/stimulate discussions and debate on the current Somali political and civic processes in line with the overall project goals.
· Provide introduction and continuous guidance/advice to BBC editorial and safeguarding policies
· Support trainees to produce one pilot episode of the Magazine program.
· Trainees to understand ways and techniques they can gather information from the formal and informal sectors of the political and civic stakeholders.
· Trainees should be able to understand and learn more about participation and trust in political processes among Somali citizens.
· Enhanced understanding of the of trainees on BBC editorial and safeguarding policies.
· Program format discussed and agreed.
· One magazine pilot episode produced.
· Training report with well-articulated next steps including topics.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience Required
· Demonstrable trainer and journalism experience in southern Somalia of not less than 6 years.
· A thematic specialization in political and civic rights in Somalia is desirable.
· Substantive experience of managing supporting and guiding a team through the creative and production process.
· An understanding of core BBC values of impartiality, independence and accuracy.
· Strong understanding of the role of communication in development.
· Ability to work on own initiative and organize time effectively to multiple deadlines.
· Capacity to juggle competing priorities and a busy program of work while working to agreed strategy and timeline.
· Fluency in the English language is required; knowledge of all Somali dialects is an advantage.
· Excellent interpersonal, communication and influencing skills.
· Excellent knowledge of the Somali context particularly in south central Somalia.
· Good working knowledge of computer packages including email, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
· Commitment to the aims and objectives of BBC Media Action and that of the BUILD project.
· Solid knowledge of report writing with quality pictures.
The following competencies (behaviors and characteristics) have been identified as key to the success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
· Editorial Judgement – demonstrates balanced and objective judgement based on a thorough understanding of BBC editorial guidelines, target audiences, program and department objectives. Makes the right editorial decisions, taking account of conflicting views as necessary.
· Planning and organization – is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritizes and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirement.
· Decision-making – Is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision made.
· Resilience – can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterized by commitment, motivation and energy.
· Influencing and persuading – Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people an approach that results in agreement or behaviour change.
· Gains the respect of the team by the excellence of their work-leads by example and takes the appropriate amount of responsibility for self and others. Plus, the effectiveness of the team above their own personal interests.
· Communication– Able to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audiences and the nature of information.
· Flexibility– Adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change and to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organization or job requirements.
· Creative Thinking– Able to transform creative ideas into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
· Managing Performance– Sets challenging team and individual objectives and trusts people to get with them, shares clear expectations about required performance levels, rewards success and addresses performance issues quickly and fairly, treats team members with honesty, respect and compassion.
How to apply:
Interested candidates who meet qualification should submit their CV together with a signed covering letter which explains why s/he is best suited to the role to the following address: email@example.com with the subject title “Media Trainer”. The closing date for applications is the 31st of October 2019. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.