Eligibility criteriaMinimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of taskUnder the direct supervision of the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) or his representative, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks at the duty station:
- Undertakes day-to-day clinical duties, e.g. consultation and treatment of patients at walk-in clinic and 24/7 response to medical emergencies;
- Provides primary health care services at the Jowhar Level-I clinic and follow up with the treatment of patients evacuated from Jowhar;
- Ensures availability of medical supplies and proper functioning of all medical equipment in the clinic;
- Ensures optimum and rational use of resources while respecting medical ethics; Coordinate training programs for AMISOM medical staff to develop their capabilities (e.g. BLS, ACLS, & Pre-hospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS), etc.;
- Assists in the management of procurement of drugs, medical equipment, consumables and medical supplies through the system contracts.
- As a member of the Mission Crisis Management team, participates in the preparation and implementation of Mass Casualty Incidence (MCI) Response, Medevac, and Casevac Standard operating procedures (SOPs;
- Participates actively in organizing medical referrals, casualty and medical evacuation of mission personnel.;
- Ensures the provision of health education to civilian mission personnel;
- Participates actively in addressing environmental and occupational health issues;
- Participates in the planning, management and implementation of adequate infection control measures in the mission health facilities at all levels;
- Provides relevant public health guidance to the facility management team in the mission and contractors providing catering, sanitation and fumigation services at the UN camps within Somalia;
- Ensures timely submission of weekly and monthly medical reports from Jowhar to the CMO’s office;
- Reports to the CMO or his OIC on all clinical activities at the duty station on weekly and monthly basis; Carry out any other tasks within the mission as may be assigned by the CMO.
Qualifications/Requirements Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent Education – Additional Comments:University Degree in Medicine and Surgery (MB.BS or MD) or its equivalent;
Residency/internship in one of the medical specialties is an advantage
Required experience: 36 Months Experience remark:A minimum of 3 years of clinical experience is mandatory.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise: Specialized human medicine (with clinical experience) Area of expertise details:Valid certification in Advanced Trauma Life support, Advanced cardiac Life support or Prehospital trauma life support is highly desirable;
Experience in HIV care or VCCT is desirable
Driving license: Yes Application procedure:* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections
of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink.
Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at
https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to
Application deadline: 09 April 2020