The network, NEAR (Network for Empowered Aid Response), is a movement of local organizations with a bold ambition – to reshape the top-down humanitarian and development system to one that is locally driven and owned, and is built around equitable, dignified and accountable partnerships.
NEAR is currently hosted by Adeso, an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. Adeso and NEAR both aspire to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: Influencing policy change and enacting systemic change through innovative solutions focused and led by local and national actors.
NEAR is launching a unique and innovative online platform that will promote communication, sharing, exchange, and learning amongst local and national actors from the Global South. The platform that NEAR is envisioning does not have a precedent. It is being launched in the era of COVID-19, so that it can have immediate value in improving and coordinating a localized response to the current crisis. The platform will outlive COVID-19 and become a resource that is driven and owned by the Global South – to improve their ways of working, their capacity, reach, and sustainability, and their confidence as change-makers in their communities.
The Online Learning and Exchange Platform Manager will drive the vision for the site and oversee the platform – making it look and work perfectly (and therefore troubleshoot issues). S/he will coordinate with the partners, analyze metrics, oversee changes, and manage the marketing of the platform, nurturing relationships and building interest in the site. S/he will be separate from the people overseeing content development, but will coordinate closely with them. S/he will report to NEAR’s Executive Director, and will oversee the Online Community Manager.
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Act as the NEAR team lead on an intensive one-month design thinking process, working together with partners to specifically think through the following components of the onine platform:
o Integration of the platform with NEAR’s website
o Data privacy and open sourcing content policies
o Implementation of a formal surveying process of NEAR members and partner organizations, with data from this survey to inform the development of the strategies / plans listed below
o Development of relevant personas and journey maps
o Strategy for content creation and curation, including considerations for structuring content to make information easily findable; for determining push versus pull content, with an aim to increase locally generated content as quickly and abundantly as possible; and for a system of reviewing and approving partner content before releasing it to the platform
o Marketing and retention plan, including the recruitment of users for the pilot phase and striving toward a critical mass of users that draws others in
o Development and implementation of roll-out strategy (trainings, change management, go-live activities)
o Strategy for soliciting continual feedback as the platform evolves
o Training for content publishers and system administrators
o Business (sustainability) plan and income generation opportunities
· Develop and implement a clear work plan for the subsequent 8, 12, and 24 month periods, with endorsement from all those participating in the design thinking process, as well as from the project donor.
· Ensure the platform is user-friendly, functional, responsive to its users, and has an attractive design.
· Consult with the NEAR Secretariat and partners on developing interactive sessions / series / webinars / workshops that are conducive to remote learning and that focus on participant engagement.
· Identify, coordinate, and formalize agreements with third parties to borrow and promote existing relevant content on the platform.
· Work with the Online Community Manager to support and train Global South actors to develop and publish content on the platform.
· Ensure the engagement of pilot users, changing strategy where necessary to promote retention. Begin the process of scaling use of the platform.
· Develop and implement a Monitoring and Evaluation plan that specifically looks at (i) accessibility of the platform and (ii) content of the platform. The Monitoring and Evaluation plan should have two overarching objectives: to ensure that the platform is used and useful, and to understand how the platform is impacting the ways of working of its users.
· Manage relations with the donor(s), including routine reporting on progress.
· By the end of month 1: There is a clear vision for the online exchange and learning platform, and a concrete work plan for how to turn that vision into reality.
· By the end of month 4: The platform is up and running and has the ability to share programmatic and organizational guidance amongst its members, with a focus on Covid-19. Three distinct chat groups will have been created and dedicated to specific issues related to Covid-19.
· By the end of month 8: A series of two to three workshops will have been launched via the platform and delivered to pilot users. Workshops will be modified and/or additional content will be created based on pilot user feedback.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
· Education with years of relevant experience preferred
· Be a professional with first-hand expertise in international development and humanitarian issues, online learning platforms, and analyzing metrics and impact.
· Have experience in managing online content and/or communities and creating user-friendly online experiences.
· Be comfortable with managing and guiding group discussions.
· Be digital-savvy and have an eye for design.
· Have a track record of creating realistic work plans and delivering results.
· Have good people management and communication skills.
· Fluency in English.
How to apply
All applications should be sent to email@example.com by 15 August 2020 with “Learning and Exchange Platform Manager” as the subject line. The selection committee will review all applications as they arrive.
Each application package should include the following:
· Cover letter with the applicant’s current contact information. The letter should be no longer than one page
· CV (including detailed work experience, education/degrees, and details of similar assignments)
· Two Professional References, with complete contact information
All applicants must meet the minimum requirements described above. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. NEAR / Adeso is an equal opportunity employer.