The network, NEAR (Network for Empowered Aid Response), is a movement of local organizations with a bold ambition – to reshape the top-down humanitarian and development system to one that is locally driven and owned, and is built around equitable, dignified and accountable partnerships.
NEAR is currently hosted by Adeso, an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. Adeso and NEAR both aspire to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: Influencing policy change and enacting systemic change through innovative solutions focused and led by local and national actors.
NEAR will set-up and launch a locally-rooted grant-making organization in Somalia – in the short term to combat the spread of COVID-19, and in the medium and longer term to address issues and priorities set by communities. A key principle of this pilot grant-making organization is to scale up community philanthropy: Community philanthropy is not about setting up or using traditional delivery mechanisms for donor funds; rather, it is empowering organizations to prioritize and tackle issues themselves (as opposed to pre-defining the objectives, deliverables, and metrics for grant-making), and to be or become rooted indigenous organizations. Part of the mandate of this pilot grant-making entity is that it builds domestic resources to better address the challenges or improve the quality of life in their communities.
The Operations Consultant will be responsible for setting up and launching the Somalia grant-making organization, with the aim to become fully independent of NEAR and sustainable by the end of the project period. The position will work closely with a Fundraising Consultant (who will be responsible for raising capital for ongoing grant-making), and will report to NEAR’s Executive Director. The Operations Consultant will commission technical resources as deemed fit, and will coordinate with project partner Global Fund for Community Foundations (who will be engaging in similar grant-making activities in West Africa) for cross-learning purposes.
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Develop a detailed work plan for the implementation of the pilot project in Somalia, using the approved project proposal as a framework.
· Lead a design thinking process to conceptualize the start-up, implementation, and sustainability of a Somalia grant-making organization. The design thinking process should closely consider community philanthropy, Islamic principles and participatory grant-making processes.
· Hire and supervise technical experts to assist in the set-up of different aspects of the grant-making entity, as seen fit.
· Determine whether partners would be critical, and select and finalize partnerships in accordance with NEAR rules and regulations.
· Build on the desk review research already carried out by NEAR and map out any comparative initiatives being undertaken in Somalia.
· Conduct consultations with relevant government, private sector, and other local stakeholders to ensure immediate local buy-in and participation.
· Closely coordinate with the Global Fund for Community Foundations to learn from similar initiatives being undertaken in West Africa and incorporate learning into the development of the Somalia grant-making organization.
· Ensure the grant-making organization is legally registered and operating in accordance with local and national laws.
· Develop guidelines and statutes for the grant-making organization, a marketing and communications strategy, a risk matrix and risk mitigation plan, a Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEAL) plan, and a sustainability strategy.
· Provide routine reports to supervisor(s) and the donor on the progress of the implementation of the pilot.
· Work closely with a Fundraising Consultant to raise capital for the organization to make grants.
· Launch the fund and roll-out the aforementioned strategies (marketing and communications, MEAL, and sustainability).
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
· Advanced degree in International Development, International Relations, Business, or its equivalent in relevant field
· Significant experience leading, managing, and/or operationalizing projects or start-ups.
· Knowledge of the humanitarian sector, specifically in Somalia.
· Experience in engaging with political actors, local humanitarian actors and grassroots organizations in Somalia.
· Experience working in challenging environments and on complex issues under pressure.
· Experience developing and analyzing MEAL plans.
· Excellent people management and communication skills.
· Fluency in English and Somali.