Organization Adeso: African Development Solutions www.adesoafrica.org
Position Title: Operations Officer
Reporting To: Operations Team in Nairobi and Senior Program and M&E Officer
Working With: Operations, Programs, and Finance Teams
Duty Station: Badhan
Duration: Twelve (12) Months
Starting Date: Immediately
Adeso is a vibrant African-based development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities are on the path toward realizing their full potential by working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 30 years, we have strengthened rural livelihood through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer, and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. Currently, Adeso has programs in Somalia. In addition, Adeso has proven itself to be one of the foremost leaders in the ongoing global effort to decolonize the humanitarian and development aid system. Adeso currently leads a coalition of INGOs to re-imagine their roles in aid and how they can contribute to shifting power towards Global South communities that aid claims to support. Adeso is a great place to work that is currently experiencing managed rapid growth. We have great benefits and a great team, and we pride ourselves on our opportunities for personal growth and development.
The Operations Officer will provide logistical support and security advice in Adeso operation areas in Puntland State. This is a field-based position directly managed by the Senior Program and M&E Officer. The Operations Officer will be a full-time personnel member at Adeso.
The role of the Operations Officer will be, mainly, to provide logistical support and security-related information and advice to the project team during the project implementation period. The support role of the officer is focused on but not limited to Puntland. On a needs arise basis, the officer will be expected to provide security and logistical support to other regions where Adeso is operating.
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Procure requested program support items in a timely manner ensuring that Adeso procurement procedures are followed.
- Account for purchased items and coordinate with the Finance and Operations Departments
- Manage and update inventory and stock list in Adeso offices, warehouses, and program sites on monthly basis.
- Coordinate with the landlord of Adeso rented premises to ensure that properties are well maintained and that leasing documents are in order
- Coordinate with other staff members to ensure the offices, warehouses, and field sites are adequately equipped and supplied.
- Support the programs with the required logistic information (costs, availability of products, etc.).
- Manage vehicles and vender-hired drivers according to contractual agreements
- Organize the transportation of goods and persons as required;
- Organize Adeso program and operations files and keep them updated as needed;
- Inform staff about security situations in the area, coordinate with local authorities and other agencies on security-related issues, and provide appropriate advice to the staff and in particular, to the management team.
- Maintain the guard’s and drivers’ schedules for the office and field-related trips.
- Understand and adhere to Adeso established policies and procedures for administration, finance, procurement, safety, and security management.
- Be responsible for all office assets and keep a detailed asset registry
- Any other duties as assigned.
- Acting as the security focal point for Puntland State
- Providing all staff with regular security briefings and updates and ensuring that all staff adheres to security policies and procedures.
- Conduct regular security and risk assessments for all operational areas.
- Supervising security guards’ performance in Badhan office.
- Ensuring that field communications needs are met and that staff is trained on the use of radios and other communication equipment as necessary.
- Liaising with local authority security agencies, UN Agencies, NGOs, and other external actors to gain security information and analysis in Puntland or any other regions, nearby areas
- Ensuring that office running bills are paid on time.
- Regularly conducting field visits to assess the field sites complying with safety and security.
- Providing regular security updates and advice to new staff and visitors.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Head of Office and Logistics Coordinator.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Diploma in Supply Chain Management or its equivalent in a relevant field.
- Minimum three (3) years experience in a similar role (NGO field preferred).
- Excellent IT skills, in particular, Word, Excel, and email are a must.
- Technical IT skills, such as networking and problem-solving is an advantage.
- Excellent people management skills and good communication.
- Highly organized and self-motivated.
- Ability to work under high pressure and prioritize tasks.
- High standards of written and spoken English and Somali are a must.
- Ability to manage several tasks simultaneously, be flexible and be willing to assume a range of unanticipated assignments.
- Willingness to travel to project activity sites if required
- Excellent attention to detail, organizational skills; maturity, and ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong written and spoken communication skills in English and the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Knowledge of donor regulations will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of the local language spoken.
- Organized and an easy learner
How to apply
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional. If you would like to join this dynamic team, apply to our website or submit your application to email@example.com quoting “Operations Officer” in the email subject matter, by 27th February 2023.
Each application should be addressed to the Regional Human Resources Manager and include the following:
- An updated CV; and – An application letter that should include remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Adeso is an equal-opportunity employer.