DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct research on identified topics related to the security situation in states of Mercy-USA operations in Somaliland, Puntland and South Central Somalia.
- Collect, collate, validate and analyze information from a variety of sources and prepare background notes, update and report on prioritized security-related issues.
- Prepare and update State Security Profiles (SSP) of the Somalia country on the basis of information from open and internal sources, and ensure the posture of updated strategic plan (SP) versions on the SMT.
- Assist the Regional Director and SMT in preparation of security-related inputs to the daily Morning Update, Daily RD Operational Brief (DRDOB), Weekly Emergency Overview (WEO) and Monthly Security Overview, with a focus on developments that affect or may affect the safety and security of Mercy-USA staff/assets/operations.
- Provide inputs for topical analysis and other analytical reports/updates pertaining to the security situation in the region, as well as conflicts/crises that have cross-cutting implications in the East Africa Region.
- Prepare ad hoc security updates, analytical reviews and background notes as required and conduct briefings on security developments, threats and risks in specific areas of relevance to Mercy-USA operations.
- Monitor Security Incident Reports (SIRs) entered into INSO, SIMSAS on incidents involving Mercy-USA staff/assets/operations, as well as contractor and partner staff engaged in support of Mercy-USA operations in the region; ensures necessary follow-up and integrity of SIR data; prepares SIR analysis.
- Identify appropriate sources/resources to obtain security-related information pertaining to countries of the region i.e. Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia and Yemen; prepares a list of such sources/resources and makes suggestions on its update and development.
- Assist the Regional Director in dissemination of security-related information to EDs/Security Teams, and other users.
- Monitor upcoming events in the short-term, medium-term and long-term perspectives, highlighting events which may have impact on the security situation in the countries of the region.
- Maintain liaison with the relevant security institutions such as governmental, INSO, DSS, and Emergency Preparedness and Response (EPR) Unit and other pillars in the monitoring and analyzing the security situation in the region, ensuring collaborative approach in preparation of regional reports and analytical papers. Special focus is made on early warning indicators and early action benchmarks.
- Responsible for the Management of the Safety & Security of Mercy-USA’s staff and property within respective/allocated guest houses/project sites and Food Distribution Points
- Conducting daily security checks at the Field Offices/guest houses/its environs and report to the Finance and operations coordinator.
- Ensure adequate supervision of the contracted security guards in all our offices and facilities
- Prepare weekly security situation reports and send to the Finance and operations coordinator.
- Perform security assessments and physical survey in Mercy-USA offices, guesthouses and project sites and submit
- Develop, communicate and follow up the implementation of security policies/procedures
- Provide advisories to Mercy-USA staff members traveling to duty missions
- Performs other duties as required.
- Degree in Criminology/Security studies/Disaster management
- HEIST, HEAT AND PST Training
- 2-3 years in similar position preferably in an INGO
Work related skills
- Experience in high-risk/hardship environments is an asset
- Outstanding Organizational and time management skills
- Strong communication skills**
- Ability to multitask and prioritize daily workload**
- Good Negotiator
- Aggressive and Result Oriented
- Able to meet deadlines**
- Ability to network with security actors within the area of jurisdiction
- Strong work ethics and Reliability
- Ability to work under pressure
- Team player
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong customer relation skills