THIS POSITION IS ONLY FOR qualified Somali expatriate
- Position title: Pediatrician
- Duty Station: Kismayo, Jubaland
- Duration of Assignment: 12 months
- Deadline for applications: 25 December 2019
- Ideal candidate: qualified Somali expatriate only
About MIDA FINNSOM Phase II – Health and Education Project in the Federal Government and Federal Member States of Somalia
The Migration for Development in Africa (MIDA) Somalia programme supports the mobilization of resources and expertise of the Somali diaspora to contribute to the stabilization and development of Somalia, while ensuring that skills and knowledge are transferred to the host institutions and retained by local staff once the diaspora experts complete their assignments.
MIDA FINNSOM Phase II – Health and Education Project is funded by the Government of Finland, the project aims to facilitate the transfer of skills, competencies and knowledge of qualified Somali expatriates to public institutions in Somalia, with a focus on two sectors, namely health and education. The beneficiary institution Kismayo General will host the qualified Somali expatriate, and will be responsible to provide a safe and secure work environment. Kismayo General Hospital & IOM Somalia MIDA staff will monitor the expatriate while on assignment.
About Kismayo General Hospital
Kismayo General Hospital seeks a qualified Pediatrician to diagnose, treat, and help prevent children’s diseases and injuries and teach and train hospital staff.
Activities / Key Results Expected
- Direct and coordinate activities of pediatric related services in the clinic/hospital.
- Examine children regularly to assess their growth & development.
- Examine sick babies to assess general physical condition & treat illness accordingly.
- Administer & prescribes drugs based on analysis of examinations, test reports & findings.
- Provide counseling service.
- Perform newborn resuscitation, essential newborn care &/or child with problems & other
- Puts the interest of clients/patients above all other consideration & ensure the confidentiality of all cases.
- Examine patients or order, perform and interpret diagnostic tests to obtain information on medical condition and determine diagnosis.
- Collect, record& maintain patient information.
- Provide consulting services to other health professionals.
- Refer patients to medical specialists or to other practitioners when necessary
- Examine clients, interpret diagnostic laboratory test, and obtain medial history.
- Analyze records, test results to monitor client conditions and progress and take appropriate action as required.
- Ensure quality of care in place in the clinic/hospital.
- Provide pediatric related training for medical personnel in the hospital
- Instruct and monitor trainees in pediatric related training clinical attachment.
- Coach co-workers how to do procedures.
- Determine the kind of medical tools, equipment and medical supplies as needed.
- Conduct Supportive Supervision of the Hospital.
- Perform other duties as assigned by immediate supervisor.
Besides the specific outputs mentioned in section IV, the MIDA programme requires the following steps/actions to be undertaken throughout the assignment. These are standard requirements for alL assignments:
- Transfer of skills: One of the main responsibilities of the Somali diaspora participant, and one which he/she will be measured against, will be to ensure continuous and systematic transfer of knowledge and skills as related to the assignment. It will have to be agreed with the beneficiary Ministry/institution which civil servants will benefit from this knowledge.
- Work plan: A work plan will have to be developed with the Supervisor during the first week of assignment which will provide clear and time bound activities to be implemented in order to achieve the expected outputs of the assignment. This work plan will be shared with the MIDA Project Assistant. The work plan can be revised during the mid-term review to reflect new developments or changes in strategy.
- Mid Term Review: there will be a mid-term review of the assignment between the incumbent and the beneficiary Ministry/ institution to discuss progress of the assignment and feedback on performance.
- Interim and Final Reports: Progress reports will be submitted by the incumbent to the Supervisor and to the MIDA Project Assistant. Thereafter a final report will be provided at the end of assignment.
- Level of Education: M.D with a specialization in Pediatrics
- Area of Study: Pediatrics
- Years of work experience in what area(s): 3 years of experience in psychiatric clinical service preferred.
- Management. Languages needed: English and Somali
General Skills / Other Requirements:
- Good communication skills.
- Good public relations and teamwork skills.
- Training experience.
- Excellent skills in pediatrics and neonatology.
- Good computer skills.
Security and Insurance Modalities
Health insurance, including evacuation due to medical emergency, will be provided by the project. However, experts will be requested to provide a recent medical certificate stating that they are physically well and apt to work in a hardship area in Africa. Please note that IOM, according to the contract, will not be responsible for the security of the qualified Somali expatriates. The host Ministry/ institution will be responsible for the security of the individual.
Before leaving the country of residence and upon arrival in Somalia, the qualified Somali expatriate will receive a pre-departure briefing including security advice and cultural background.
To apply please send your CV (with two professional references including their email and phone number) and a cover letter by email to email@example.com. PDF format is preferred. Kindly write: Pediatrician/Kismayo General Hospital in the subject field of the email when sending the application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.