Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
- CTG is looking to build our talent pool / roster for Port Operations Specialists in connections with a potential project going live in East Africa. This project is related to food & livelihood. Although the role is being actively advertised, this is not a live requirement at the moment.
- The overall management of our client’s port operations in coordination with the all internal & external stakeholders, to ensure the timely & cost effective movement of commodities through the port, streamlined with downstream pipeline plans, to ensure the smooth & timely provision of food assistance to beneficiaries.
- Effective coordination with our client’s vessel agents, vessel port representatives, local authorities, our client’s cargo superintendent company & our client’s logistics service providers, to ensure no delays in cargo clearance & vessel loading & discharging arrangements & operations.
- The supervision & monitoring of vessel loading & discharge operations & assurance that all necessary corrective actions are taken to achieve the most cost efficient & timely operations, as well as the avoidance or minimisation of demurrage charges, detention fees & any other additional costs that our client may incur.
- Ensuring that all required documentation, such as Statement of Facts, Notice of Readiness & Letter of Protest etc. are submitted / accepted correctly as per the charter party.
- Staying abreast of any potential transport delays / port congestion, taking necessary mitigation measure to protect our client’s interests & the sharing of this information with the necessary / concerned offices.
- Close coordination with our client’s cargo superintendent company & / or vessel’s port representatives prior to vessel arrivals to protect our client interests during vessel operations & to ensure full cargo quantity in good condition is always loaded / discharged & for ensuring that adequate measures are in place for commodity handling, quality & quantity control & any immediate actions are be taken to safeguard the commodities & our client’s interest at all times.
- The pro-active prevention of commodity losses during loading / discharges operations including the implementation of mitigation measures, necessary interventions during cases of cargo damage, the timely reporting of any incidents, commodity losses / damages to all relevant parties & the arrangements for adequate inspections, sampling, testing to support the final settlement of disputed cargoes.
- Ensure good communications & effective negotiations with external parties in order to facilitate smooth shipping & port operations.
- In coordination with the country office contracting team, ensure that all necessary contracts are in place for handling of charter & liner vessels & for any other logistics services required, including stevedoring, customs clearance, primary transportation, port warehousing, etc.
- Provide necessary inputs for the contracting process such as market surveys & regular contractor performance monitoring & reporting.
- Ensuring that relevant staff is properly briefed on the standard port operations procedures & responsibilities of our client vessels / stevedores / superintendents & forwarding agents with clear understanding on the points where risk is transferred & ensuring the capacity building & on the job training of your team staff in the technical areas of port operations & shipping.
- Participation in the development of further improvements in procedures, documentation & reporting of our client’s operations in country.
- Gather information on potential transport delays / port congestion to ensure our client interests are fully covered & share this information with the necessary / concerned offices.
- Liaise with local shipping line agents, port authority, customs & other enforcement agencies to ensure our client operations conform to industry
- Coordinate with our client’s clearing & forwarding agents to ensure customs processes are correctly done & efficiently completed.
- Intervene to resolve any bottlenecks encountered.
- Draft & keep updated Customs Information Guide & SOP’s of all local shipping, clearing & transport operations.
- Participate in shortlisting, contracting, performance bench marking, M&E of all logistics service providers e.g. clearing & forwarding agents & superintendents.
- Coordinate with our client vessel agents for prompt berthing & smooth load / discharge operations.
- Oversee that proper documents are received & submitted to local authorities to ensure no delays in cargo clearance & vessel loading / discharging arrangements.
- Coordinate with our client’s cargo superintendent company & / or vessel’s port representatives prior to vessel arrivals to protect our client interests during vessel operations & to ensure full cargo quantity in good condition is always loaded / discharged.
- Ensure contracted stevedoring companies are fully prepared to handle the load / discharge operations prior to vessel’s arrival into port.
- Review & be aware of our client superintendence arrangements to ensure adequate measures are in place for commodity QC & any immediate actions can be taken to safeguard the commodities & our clients interest at all times.
- Ascertain logistics reporting & monitoring of dispatches, deliveries & QC if required.
- Monitor the performance of our client contractors & report on their performances.
- Supervise & monitor vessel load / discharge at berths & if required, take any necessary corrective actions to obtain the most cost efficient & timely operations in order to avoid or minimise demurrage charges.
- Report on a daily basis to the Head of Logistics Division (ODL) & Shipping Service Branch (ODLS) at HQ on vessel load / discharge & all relevant related information.
- Report & document loss, damages & intervene in cases of damaged cargo.
- Arrange for adequate inspections, sampling, testing & final settlement of disputed cargoes.
- Ensure full control for the liner shipments, including the overland arrivals if needed.
- Participate in the development of further improvements in procedures, documentation & reporting of our client.
- Carry out logistics capacity assessment of ports when requested.
- Ensure that relevant staff is properly briefed on the standard port operation procedures & responsibilities of our client vessels / stevedores / superintendents & forwarding agents with clear understanding on the points where risk is transferred.
- Keep shipping files in good order.
- Collect the tally & other related documents to the discharging operations in order to do a proper tracking & recording of all incoming / outgoing consignments & vessels.
- Supervise & monitor the superintendent performance in order to assure a proper recording of loaded, discharged & damaged cargo.
- Assure a correct recording & timely submission of the Statement of Facts.
- Assure a proper loading / unloading operation & a correct storage of the cargo on trucks / railroad wagons & storage in the warehouses.
- Ensure that operations are carried out in line with the rules & procedures described in the our client logistics manual.
- Ensure that all required documentation, such as Statement of Facts, Notice of Readiness & Letter of Protest etc. are submitted / accepted correctly as per C / P & communicated to ODLS in timely manner.
- This role reports to the Project Manager.
- This role does not have any team management responsibility.
- Minimum of 5 year of experience in Africa (desirable).
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience & a Masters-Degree in Transport Economics, Supply Chain, Shipping, Logistics or other relevant area OR Bachelors-Degree with relevant logistics qualifications or additional logistics experience in port, freight forwarding & shipping operations.
- Extensive experience in port & shipping operations, including a comprehensive in-depth knowledge of the practical workings of ports, cargo & shipping documentation & charter party interpretation & the shipping business.
- Familiarity with international commodity trade practices.
- Knowledge of computer software such as MS Office including Word & Excel.
- Excellent negotiation & organisation skills.
- Previous experience with the UN or knowledge of our client’s operations is an asset.
- Good working knowledge in both oral & written communication in English languages.
- Business support services & reporting applies strong ability to identify country level requirements & develop customer focused solutions & action plans.
- Communicates data-based findings in a highly impactful way that is tailored to the audience.
- Internal controls & risk management for administration & engineering demonstrates in depth knowledge of internal controls & proper accounting procedures & systems to recommend improvements where necessary to address current weaknesses, mitigate risks to mission critical to our client operations & maximise client satisfaction.
- Resource management for administration & engineering oversees staffing for HQ & field resources at the program level, taking resource usage trends & forecasting data into account.
- Specialised knowledge in engineering applies advanced engineering knowledge in own area of responsibility & working knowledge of other engineering disciplines to provide technical support to operations & projects.
- Leads independent action & decision making in an engineering context.
- Engineering & project management applies knowledge of construction & arbitration related law & advanced knowledge of project planning, engineering & design management to ensure the effective delivery of complex strategic projects.
- Demonstrates advanced skills in monitoring complex projects, suggesting corrective actions to overcome unforeseen challenges to achieving quality, time & cost targets.
Other relevant information:
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.
How to apply
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website & then apply for this role using the below link: