CARE Somalia/Somaliland is an international NGO working in Somalia/Somaliland. CARE and its partners work with vulnerable communities to address the underlying causes of poverty and promote peace and development, as well as mitigating immediate suffering caused by drought, conflict and displacement. The position of Program Development Manager is based in Garowe (80%) and Nairobi (20%) providing support to the Emergency department in program development, representing CARE in meeting at Nairobi level and facilitate support to the field teams.
Under the supervision of the Emergency Director, the Program Development Manager will be responsible for development of proposals, concept notes based on the emergency assessment outcomes, donor interest and emergency response strategy. She will regularly engage with Emergency Director, Humanitarian Coordinator, sector specialists and the Humanitarian Program Managers. She will also work on situation reports, response strategic plan and review and revise narrative/technical reports for clarity and quality prior to submission to donors.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Proposal Design and writing
- Work closely with the Emergency Director, Humanitarian Coordinator, MEAL Specialist, Humanitarian Program Managers and sector specialist to develop proposals/concept notes based on the emergency assessment outcomes, donor interest and emergency response strategy;
- Lead on drafting and aggregating background information for concept notes and proposals;
- Support proposal planning and development processes by ensuring internal and external deadlines are met and that appropriate technical inputs and review from relevant Stakeholders-Program, Finance, Procurement, Human Resource, Safety and Security etc.- are included.
- Work closely with the Country finance team to ensure that the budget complies with Country office requirements.
- Identify information gaps blocking proposal completion and secure the necessary information to complete.
- Rapidly revise, update and expand concept papers into full project proposals as recommended by donors.
- Develop project proposals in such a way as to ensure harmonization across projects and sectors to produce a cohesive, credible and coordinated program according to agreed program strategy.
- Ensure that all project proposals adhere to CI Humanitarian Accountability Framework and Sphere.
- Coordinate response(s) to donor/CARE Member Partners (CMP) feedback on reports submitted from relevant internal stakeholders and ensure response to queries
2. Situation awareness;
- Familiarize oneself with existing CARE programming in the country and/or region to inform development of concept papers and proposals.
- Write concise pieces for proposals that communicate the humanitarian situation and the areas of attention for CARE and that fit with the emergency strategy
- Work on case studies and documentation of best practices
- Working closely with Emergency Director and MEAL specialist develop situation reports and Country office response strategies.
3. Donor and sector awareness
- Be familiar with the requirements and formats of different donors with respect to sectors, priorities, guidelines and what budget lines are fundable and what are not.
- Know the time frame and submission deadlines for the relevant donors.
- Identify strategies for multiple funding of the emergency response strategy.
- In coordination with the Country office, maintain contact with the CI member that is supporting the proposal submission to donor.
4. Information and Data Collection and Coordination
- Assist Country Office to produce necessary materials to disseminate information throughout CARE International and externally. Such materials may include Donor briefs, situation reports, programme strategy, fact sheets, briefing notes and any others requested by CARE International members.
- Attend external briefings and meetings collect information for CARE.
5. Representation, Communication and donor reports
- Represent CARE in meetings and workshops with external stakeholders including the cash TWG, UN, and INGOs at Nairobi level
- Provide regular program updates to the Emergency Director, Humanitarian Coordinator and work closely with other sector leads
- Review and revise narrative/technical reports for clarity and quality prior to submission to donors
Key Internal Contacts; Country Director/ Deputy country Director – Programs, Emergency Director /Humanitarian Coordinator /Program Specialist/Humanitarian Program Manager/Team Leaders/Sector specialists/Humanitarian Program Manager/ MEAL Specialists
Key External Contacts; Other humanitarian agencies (UN and NGO) at Nairobi level.
- First degree in social sciences and equivalents
- Minimum of 3 years’ field experience with international NGO
- Experience with inter-agency coordination in humanitarian setting
- Program Planning implementation and reporting
- Strong communication skills both written and oral
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and negotiate clearly and effectively at all levels
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit their application letter and CV with at least 3 professional reference check via email SOM.Recruitment@care.org by close of business on 31 January 2020. Please include the reference “ Program Development Manager (PDM), Garowe”. As subject of your email.
CARE is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.**