Norwegian Church Aid (NCA) has been working together with strong partnerships in Somalia for almost thirty years in order to make positive changes within different thematic areas. In all our programme interventions, we work closely with communities and local government institutions to build their capacities and mobilise them to take charge and be active agents of change. NCA in Somalia works in an integrated approach while responding to Humanitarian needs in sectors WASH, Economic Empowerment, Education and protection against Gender-Based Violence (GBV).
As our new Head of Programs, you will manage and guide the development of NCA’s programme activities in Somalia in line with the Country Strategic Plan and NCA policies and strategies, ensuring quality, strategic purpose, participation and accountability. As a member of NCA Somalia’s Senior Management Team, the Head of Programs, reports to the Regional Representative.
The position is a two-year contract, currently based in Nairobi. There will be extensive travel to Somalia, as well as the possibility of moving our operational base to Somalia. Please note that Somalia is classified as a high-risk area and is a non-family duty station. This is an expat position only.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide leadership to ensure efficient and effective implementation of Somalia’s programme activities, in line with NCA programme polices, standards and strategies.
- Oversee the development of funding proposal, concepts and budgets.
- Ensure the effective and professional management of donor grants and support the development of high-quality proposals.
- Provide ongoing mentoring, support and advice to a team of Programme Specialist’s to ensure high quality Project Cycle Management.
- Support development and implementation of NCA Somalia Country Strategy and promote networking, and collaboration among stakeholders.
- Contribute to the capacity building of staff and partner organizations.
- Master degree in a relevant subject including, but not limited to development, public health, education and social sciences.
- At least five years overseas experience in similar or related senior management positions.
- Experience of programme development, the project management cycle, budget management and participatory planning methodologies.
- Experience of donor policies and requirements from major humanitarian donors such as, but not limited to; UN, ECHO, USAID etc.
- Proven track record managing a diverse team and fostering team work.
- Experience with training and mentoring of staff and/or others.
- Work experience from the region and experience working with faith-based actors is an asset.
- Fluent English (written and spoken).
- Structured, well organized and self-driven
- Excellent communication, solid diplomatic and interpersonal skills
- Good at networking and maintaining professional relationships
- Very good ability to inspire and build other peoples capacities
- Ability to work under pressure in a potentially unstable security environment.
- Culture and conflict sensitive
- The successful candidate must be loyal to NCA´s core Christian values and accept the ACT Alliance’s Code of Conduct.
We can offer
- Exciting and meaningful projects with one of Norway’s largest humanitarian organizations.
- A work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility
- Competitive terms and conditions and a comprehensive insurance and pension plan.
NCA uses electronic recruitment portal. You can register your CV, write an application and attach certificates and diplomas. Only applicants who use our electronic portal will be considered for the position.
In accordance with core humanitarian principles, NCA implements a range of safeguards to prevent or reduce the possibility of humanitarian aid falling into the wrong hands. This includes those individuals and groups who are subject to sanctions by the United Nations Security Council. As part of this process, NCA will screen the details of the successful candidates for this post against the sanctions lists maintained by the UN and by some of NCAs governmental donors. Please be informed that this will only be applicable for international positions and senior national positions.
This is an expat position only. Please apply by clicking apply job over the advertisment here: https://kirkensnodhjelp.recman.no/job.php?job_id=120499