Date of Issue: 20th January 2020 Closing Date: 2nd February 2020
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The World Food Programme Somalia activities include food assistance for relief, school feeding, nutrition, food for assets creation through provision of in-kind and cash-based transfers and safety nets.
This position is open to qualified Somali candidates, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Under the technical supervision of the Programme Policy Officer and the overall supervision of the Area Coordinator, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
• Focal point for School Meals Programme activities covering Banadir region and Hirshabelle state;
• Liaise with UNICEF and Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education (MOECHE) to ensure smooth running of the Joint Resilience Education program;
• Participate in the design, oversight, and monitoring of school meals activities, including strengthening systems, structures, and services in line with WFP policy and procedures;
• Prepare monthly distribution plans and verify planned movements and distribution of food and non-food items to the targeted schools;
• Support efforts to address findings from monitoring visits, reviews and evaluations;
• Participate in school assessment and any other school feeding mission as required;
• In collaboration with WFP logistic team, ensure liaison between the beneficiaries (school leaders, parents committees, pupils representatives) and the retailers;
• Prepare progress, periodic and ad- hoc reports on implementation of the programme;
• Ensure timely submission and payment of cooperating partners invoices;
• Collect and update monthly distribution reports, analyse and capture them in WFP information management system;
• Participate in Education cluster coordination meetings and share situational updates with implementing partners accordingly;
• Support integration of protection and gender perspectives in all areas of work, to ensure equal participation of women and men;
• Regularly conduct refresher trainings to cooperating partners’ and MOECHE school feeding unit staff on commodity transfer modalities and overall school feeding programme implementation;
• Perform other related duties as required.
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in education, social services or other related functional area is desirable.
Experience: At least five years of responsible support experience in development, food assistance, food security analysis or in a field related to programme functions in a humanitarian context is desirable.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Somali is a requirement.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Ability to facilitate implementation of food assistance programmes using basic principles and good practices of programme design, implementation and monitoring of development projects.
• Demonstrates ability to facilitate, food assistance programme implementation that deploys full range of transfer modalities with an understanding of basic principles guiding modality selection and implementation.
• Understands basic technical concepts and data and their relevance to food assistance programmes.
• Experience in coordination with government institutions, UN agencies, NGOs and various technical teams (Nutrition, VAM, etc.).
• Knowledge and experience in using computer software packages and database applications.
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications through E-Recruitment.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WFP seeks applicants of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
WFP is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Selection of candidates is made on a competitive basis.