|CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements.
In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
|Overview of position
Overview of consultant role position
The Project Consultant (PC) provides high-level support to the Project Manager (PM) in producing/amending/reading the project initiation documents (PID), Legal Agreement, and having a thorough understanding of the terms, conditions, budget and the respective roles and responsibilities of the partners/stakeholders to ensure the project(s) products are capable of meeting the business cases for both our client and their client. The PM is responsible for all aspects of the project life cycle. However, the PC must be able to apply the below duties and responsibilities in support of the PM as well as in acting as OiC in the PM’s absence or representation to ensure project success.
|Consultant Role objectives
The Project Consultant (PC) provides high-level support to the Project Manager (PM) in producing/amending/reading the project initiation documents (PID), Legal Agreement, and having a thorough understanding of the terms, conditions, budget and the respective roles and responsibilities of the partners/stakeholders to ensure the project(s) products are capable of meeting the business cases for both our clients. The PM is responsible for all aspects of the project life cycle. However, the PC must be able to apply the below duties and responsibilities in support of the PM as well as in acting as OiC in the PM’s absence or representation to ensure project success.
- Establish solid working relationship with the project board (Executive, Senior Users and Senior Suppliers), client – current and potential – and key stakeholders
- Manage communications – e.g. draft project document briefs and or talking points for discussion – and ensure stakeholders are aware of project activities, progress, exceptions and are in a position to accept handover products
- Advise the client on issues that may impact the achievement of their outcomes (including issues of sustainability and post project requirements such as maintenance)
- Support the PM for in managing the information flows between the Project Board/OC Director and the project(s)
Delivery and Performance:
- Support develop and maintain project plans
- Implement approved project plans (including the establishment of milestones) within tolerances set by the project board
- Embed sustainability dimensions including social and gender inclusion, environmental and economic aspects into project life cycle
- Manage or support the production of the required products, advising on corrective action where necessary
- Liaise with any external suppliers or account managers
- Manage Work Packages
- Advise the PM of any deviations from the plan
- Identify and advise on risks so that maximum benefit to client and stakeholders is achieved
- Review product quality and ensure products are accepted
- Monitor and evaluate performance of service providers
- Identify and report potential business opportunities for our client to supervisor
- Identify and report threats to our client internal business case to supervisor
- On behalf of the project and as directed by the PM, participate in periodic visits to the project sites within Somalia to review compliance with recognised procedures
- Support the PM to or directly maintain the following: i. Electronic Blue File; ii. Procurement, HR and Finance files as required by those practices as per OD12.
- Advise the PM to ensure that all expenditure comply with our client Financial Rules and Regulations (FRR).
- Manage contracts, budgets, cash flow and obligations to ensure that deliverables are met and payments to contractors and personnel are received on time.
- Supervise and review submissions for Contracts, Purchase orders, Waivers and related documents prior to final approval
- Understand and manage our client overheads, allocable charges, and related corporate charges as they apply to the project
- Understand the unique structures of the UN and budget appropriately for personnel
- Support the management and accountability for expenditures against the budget (based on accurate financial reports)
- Where the Project Manager has no delegation as a committing officer, s/he retains these responsibilities and will monitor and instruct/request others to carry out the relevant commitments and disbursements
- Participate in the relevant Communities of Practice
- Actively interact with other PMs, project personnel and the PM community to share project information, case studies, lessons learned and best practice on the Knowledge System.
- Provide feedback to Practice Leads on policy, supporting guidance with an aim towards continuous improvement of our client policies
- Managing information flows and overseeing change controls, risk registers and issue management; document and feedback lessons learned and best practices;
- Complete lessons learned as per reporting format
- Incorporate lessons learned from others as per planning format
Personnel Management: if applicable
- Lead and motivate the project management team
- Identify outstanding staff and bring them to the attention of the OC Director
- Have a thorough understanding of our client personnel contract modalities (including ICA and Staff)
- Advise and support the PM to prepareTerms of Reference (ToR), select, recruit, induct, and train team as required by project plans
- Perform the Team Manager role when appointed by the PM
- Perform Project Support role, unless appointed to another person or corporate/programme function
- Ensure safety and security for all personnel and comply with UNDSS standards
- Supervise Project Assistant(s)
Core Values and Principles:
- Understand and respect our client’s sustainability principles
- Look for ways to embed our client’s sustainability principles in day to day project management
- Seek opportunities to champion gender equality at work place
- Champion and communicate project’s sustainability aspects with key stakeholders
- Understand and Respect National ownership and capacity
- Understand the principles of the Paris Declaration on aid effectiveness and mainstream them into the project plans
- Seek opportunities to recruit qualified local staff
- Look for ways to build capacity of local counterparts
- Partnerships and Coordination Understand the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) and our client, the project’s place in the UN system
- Strive to build strong partnerships and effective coordination among relevant project actors (e.g. United Nations, governments, and non-governmental organizations or other relevant partners)
- Accountability for results and the use of resources
- The project management processes are designed to deliver maximum accountability, transparency and results. If a project or processes is not in line with this, it is the responsibility of the PM to raise the issue with a supervisor
- Contribute to innovation and the adaptation of best practice standards of sustainability and quality
3. Monitoring and Progress Controls
Ensure that the project(s) produce(s) the required products within the specified tolerance of time, cost, quality, scope, risk and benefits. The PCO is responsible for supporting the project producing a result capable of achieving the benefits defined in the Business Case(s). Contribute to the overall business targets and needs.
Impact of Results
The Project Coordination Officer directly impacts on achievement of project results by assisting the Project Manager to adhere to project management methods and strategies, reduced risks, cut costs and improved success rates. This consequently reinforces the visibility and image of our client as an effective service provider in project services and management and strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services.