Position Title : Programme Manager (Migration Health)
Duty Station : Mogadishu, Somalia
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 11 December 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is one of the major humanitarian and developmental actors in Somalia. IOM’s Migration Health Division (MHD) is currently implementing a large health programme across the country, which includes provision of primary healthcare through static and mobile teams.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (COM), the direct supervision of the Head of Operations and Emergency Response Division in Somalia, and the guidance of the Director of the Migration Health Division (MHD) in Geneva for health technical matters, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for the management, effective coordination, implementation and strategic direction of all health assistance related projects and activities in Somalia.
S/he will maintain coordination with, and be additionally guided by, the Regional Migration
Health Specialist based at the IOM Regional Office for East and Horn of Africa in Nairobi. S/he will work closely with the Federal and State Ministries of Health (MoH) and other government counterparts at national and state levels ensuring all of IOM’s Migration Health activities are within the framework of the MoH National Plan of Action and strategies.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in the field of Medicine, Public Health, Health Systems Management, Epidemiology, Community Health or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Consolidated working experience in emergency and post-conflict/ post-crisis areas;
• Proven experience in management and implementation of complex programme for health emergency response;
• Previous experience in programme development, donors liaison and resource mobilisation;
• Familiarity with health cluster mechanism, emergency funds, global funds on AIDS, TB and
• Capacity to lead multi-cultural team(s) in a complex setting;
• Strong monitoring and evaluation skills for operational and field projects in migration, refugee and displaced persons’ health-related issues, including experience in evaluating health programmes, clinical protocols, risk assessment, guideline, tools and others;
• Familiarity on health information management and health data analysis;
• Knowledge of structures and functions of national and international health agencies, donors and organizations is mandatory;
• Previous work in the health sector in the African region, particularly Somalia is a strong advantage.
• Strong management and organization skills;
• Excellent writing and presentation skills;
• Excellent inter-personal and communication skills;
• Ability to work independently and as a team lead and team member;
• Computer literacy.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Somali, Arabic, French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 11 December 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 28.11.2019 to 11.12.2019
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2019/319 (P) – Programme Manager (Migration Health)(P3)Mogadishu,Somalia
Posting: Posting NC56250068 (56250068) Released