Date of Issue: 17th December 2019 Closing Date: 23rd December 2019
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every single day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The WFP Somalia activities include food assistance for relief, school feeding, safety nets, nutrition and food assistance for assets creation through provision of in-kind and cash-based transfers. Under the Interim Country Strategic Country Portfolio (ICSP), WFP continues the shift from relief to recovery and resilience-building activities and will introduce a new component on capacity building: the strengthening of national authorities to implement disaster management and early warning systems in order to protect food security and nutrition and support stability. WFP will also continue to coordinate with other United Nations agencies and non-governmental partners to ensure maximum complementarity and impact.
This position is open to qualified Somali nationals only. Female candidates are particularly and highly encouraged to apply.
Under the supervision of the Programme Policy Officer and overall supervision of the Deputy Country Director, the incumbent will:
• Provide technical support and contribute towards the development and implementation of the Government institutions capacity strengthening activities ensuring alignment with wider programme policies and guidelines;
• Provide efficient coordination and engagement of all stakeholders ensuring that capacity strengthening activities are planned and done accordingly;
• Serve as focal point for the implementation of the capacity strengthening in Somalia on Early Warning and Disaster management systems;
• Manage partnership agreements with various Government Institutions including preparation and implementation of the Letters of Understanding;
• Liaise closely with the Government to ensure the full engagement of key stakeholders and other relevant actors in the project;
• Enhance partnerships, establish and maintain effective linkages with UN agencies, Government, Civil Society, donors and other institutions for similar capacity strengthening initiatives;
• Develop a project implementation, monitoring and reporting plan and provide regular updates on its execution;
• Liaise with WFP field offices and liaison office to ensure all levels are empowered to support capacity strengthening processes;
• Develop advocacy and communication material and project reports;
• Identify capacity strengthening opportunities for WFP in Somalia;
• Identify and document good practices and lessons learned from the initiative for uptake in other capacity strengthening initiatives;
• Invest in the sustainability of the initiative with thorough knowledge management, and concurrent training of team members on capacity strengthening and project specifics;
• Perform any other duties as required.
Education: Advanced University degree in one of the following fields: social sciences, statistics, development economics, Political Science, Disaster Management, Development, International Relations or other related field from a recognized institution or First University degree in one of the fields above with additional more years of related work experience or trainings/courses, attained from a recognized institution.
Experience: A minimum of one year of postgraduate professional working experience in institutional capacity strengthening, project management, humanitarian or development project implementation, government partnership, and/or knowledge management. Experience in Early Warning will be an asset.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Somali is a requirement.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Experience designing and implementing institutional capacity strengthening programmes is essential
• Experience in food assistance, logistics, development, humanitarian aid, emergency preparedness and response, contingency planning, disaster management and/or early warning systems
• Experience in facilitating and coordinating multi-stakeholder processes
• Ability to develop and main effective work relations with partners within and outside the organization
• Excellent report writing and presentation skills;
• Training and/or experience utilizing computers including word processing, spreadsheet and other WFP standard software packages and systems. General knowledge of UN systems and policies, rules, regulations and procedures governing administration.
Interested and qualified candidates are required to submit an online application through E-Recruitment.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WFP seeks applicants of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
WFP is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Selection of candidates is made on a competitive basis.