Overview of position
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all and it does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The European Union and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) have developed the Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration in Africa. This initiative aims to contribute to the strengthening of migration governance and the sustainable reintegration of returning migrants in Somalia. In the Horn of Africa, the Joint Initiative (JI-HoA) commenced in March 2017 with an overall objective to contribute to facilitating orderly, safe, regular and rights-based migration through the facilitation of dignified voluntary return and the implementation of development-focused and sustainable reintegration policies and processes
Under the overall supervision of the Program Manager for the Migrant Assistance Division (MPA) and the direct supervision of the National Program Officer, the Project Assistant will contribute to the implementation of the “EUTF-IOM Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration’’ with a special focus on providing sustainable reintegration assistance to returning migrants.
- Assist the National Project Officer in setting up reintegration procedures, forms and database for the returning migrants.
- Conduct interviews to verify family and clan links with applicant’s contacts (including clan leaders, identified family or clan members) in Somalia prior to return.
- Arrange the logistical & operational activities/preparations needed for the post arrival and reception assistance of returning migrants through provision of onward transportation (OTA) to the returnees’ final destination and if security allows, accompany the returnees to the areas of origin as necessary.
- Assist in providing counseling to returnees, early identification of special needs such as protections and health gaps and concerns and ensure effective referrals for specialized assistance in Somalia.
- Assist returnees in planning & implementing their preferred reintegration schemes; facilitate the procurement and delivery of reintegration support packages, support in planning payments to service providers and vendors and ensure the goods and services procured and delivered are of good quality.
- Support in the collection, entry (digitizing and encoding into a database), ensuring accuracy and cleanliness of data, and preparing AVRR data for further processing, analysis and reporting.
- If needs arise, support in liaising with the relevant government authorities for the establishment and effective running of mechanisms of coordinated implementation of referral networks and assistances that contribute to the sustainable reintegration of returnees and assistance to host/ communities of return.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
· National Officer
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
· Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
· Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
· Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
· Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
· Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
· Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
· Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
· Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply
How to apply
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website as a candidate & apply for this role using this link: