Under the direct supervision of the Senior Project Manager and secondary supervision of the Head of Programme, the Project Management Support Specialist (Payment Mentor) will perform the following duties and responsibilities.
Delivery and Performance:
- Undertake and manage the delivery of the military stipend payments.
- Manage and coordinate the functions of the Somalia National Army data handlers/teams.
- Analysis of data for payment and verification of correctness.
- Liaise the transfer of funds for stipend payments with the designated bank(s).
- Facilitate the development and certification of the military stipend payment lists.
- Supervise the functions of the Payment Team Observer(s).
- Compile comprehensive post stipend payment reports as per set standards.
- Deploy with and maintain contact with field teams to ensure the timely flow of the project data;
- Engage in the strategic examination of organizational engagement in Somalia, development revision and monitoring of the strategic plan;
- Assist the Senior Project Manager in the development of regional, personal and thematic plans to achieve stated goals and objectives, including developing background and contextual components of work plans;
- Enhance and strengthen mechanisms for including impact, outcomes, and measurability from the initial planning.
- Ensure availability of updated data of soldiers with the purification of Biometric Systems in collaboration with Biometric Registration Mentor / Management Information System (MIS) Specialist.
- Develop tools for monitoring of field activities in line with project objectives (personal safety of personnel on the ground).
- Assist the Human Resources System (HRS) project team with gathering biometric data, for reporting to the HRS Steering Group and align the data gathered with actuals.
- Measure progress according to monthly timelines, identifying gaps in delivery, proposing solutions in collaboration with the Project Manager;
- Troubleshoot, and problem solve when issues are encountered in the field level to ensure delivery of quality information and deliver stipend payments;
- Manage the gathering of impact, effect, and human interest data from the field, including interviews and feedback from beneficiaries, photos, video, and interest stories for all activities being undertaken in Somalia. Quality assure this information;
- Prepare reports and correspondence to a high standard in English;
- Participate in relevant coordination meetings and other working groups;
- Other duties as required by the Senior PM.
Monitoring and Progress **
- Ensure that the payment, verification, and registration processes produce the required outcomes within the agreed-upon limitations of time, cost, quality, scope, risk, and benefits.
Impact of Results **
The effective and successful achievement of results by the Project Management Support Specialist (Payment Mentor) directly impacts the efficient and effective management of resources in projects and operations, demonstrating UNOPS’s effective stewardship of donor and partner funds. She/he is also responsible for the payment and verification process producing a result within the specified tolerance of time, cost, quality, scope, and risk capable of achieving the benefits defined in the Business case/s contributing to the overall business targets and needs. These promote the credibility of the organization as an effective service provider in project services and management.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Project Management, Business Administration/ Public Administration with an emphasis on Finance, International Relations, Political/Security/Development Studies, Criminology, Law, or other relevant disciplines is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Project Management, Business Administration / Public Administration with an emphasis in Finance, International Relations, Political/Security/Development Studies, Criminology, Law or other relevant disciplines with a combination of two (2) additional years may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Associates Degree/Certifications with six (6) years Military/Police/Armed Forces experience may also be considered in lieu of the advanced university degree.
B. Work Experience **
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant progressive experience in either Project Management or Operational Management (Payment Systems) in either public/private or international organizations is required.
- Experience in Stipends, Public Finance and Electronic/Telephone funds transfer is an asset.
- Experience in a conflict or post-conflict setting in complex humanitarian and/or development programmes, in one or more countries, at an operational level, is an asset.
- Operational experience in the security sector i.e. Rule of Law, Military, Police, Coast guard, Fire, and Rescue services is an asset.
- Personnel Management experience/skills is an advantage
- Stakeholder Management experience is highly desirable.
- Ability to produce reports and papers in English on substantive issues with strict attention to deadlines;
- Ability to review and edit the work of others who are non-native English speakers;
- Excellent drafting ability and communication skills, both verbal and written is desirable.
- Experience /knowledge of Google Suite and good computer skills is an asset.
- Ability to communicate complex concepts orally, an ability to prepare written reports that are clear, concise and meaningful;
- Good interpersonal skills and abilities to gain assistance of others in a team endeavour via emotional maturity;
- Ability to effectively work in a multicultural environment in a team is an asset.
C. Language Requirement
- Fluency in written and spoken English Language is required.