Under the overall supervision of the Senior Project Manager, the Project Management Support Specialist (Resilience) will support the EU Resilience Programme in coordination of multi-sectoral resilience issues in accordance with the National Development Plan (NDP9) and Social Development Working Group as well as the Recovery & Resilience Framework (RRF). She/he will support the overall efforts to strengthen the capacity of the relevant institutions for the implementation of the Resilience Technical Secretariat and any other resilience coordination platforms.
The Project Management Support Specialist (Resilience) will perform the following specific duties and responsibilities:
Provide advisory and technical support to the Resilience Taskforce. EU Partnership Coordination Project in collaboration with the Ministry of Planning, Investment and Economic Development (MOPIED) have created a Resilience Taskforce to oversee the establishment and operationalization of the Resilience Technical Secretariat by:
- Supporting in the development of a government-led concept note and proposal for the inter-ministerial Resilience Technical Secretariat that will be implemented at both Federal Government (FGS) and Federal Member States (FMS) levels;
- Providing technical and administrative support to relevant government ministries under the resilience technical Secretariat;
- Supporting the secretariat to track the National Development Plan (NDP) outcomes pertaining to resilience and monitor and track resilience commitments under the 2019-2020 Monitoring and Evaluation Framework (MAF);
- Developing strategies to strengthen the capacities of FGS and FMS to effectively coordinate and implement resilience activities e.g. organizing learning events to harmonize resilience approaches amongst government resilience stakeholders.
Provide technical support to EU Partnership Coordination Project’s Non-Key Experts working under the Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) e.g. Social Sector Reform Advisor, Senior Policy Advisor Global Environmental Affairs and Climate Change and Resilience Focal Point to the Ministry of Agriculture to:
- Ensure effective knowledge sharing between the Social Development thematic Working Group and the Resilience Technical Secretariat and contribute to the strengthening of the social sector;
- Enhance the effectiveness and increase coherence in the implementation of the Resilience Technical Secretariat by maximizing potential synergies with the other policy imperatives such as Durable Solutions, Environment and Natural Resources Management;
- Provide Ad Hoc analyses/support as needed.
Work closely with EU Resilience Programme Head, Programme Managers and government counterparts to identify critical gaps and entry points in resilience sectors such as WASH, Nutrition and Climate Change Adaptation.
- Nutrition – Enhance the multi-sectoral approach to nutrition by supporting and strengthening network building between Somalia’s Scaling Up Nutrition (SUN) Secretariat and Focal Point at the OPM, Civil Society and Academia with the donor network.
- WASH – Support the government with the Water Master Plan and the implementation of the water strategy. Supervise the execution of a water desk review/needs assessment.
Undertake a desk review to map resilience-building donors at different levels in Somalia.
- Oversee the mapping from inception, assessment to the final report in close collaboration with a desk review consultant
Support in the design of the monitoring and evaluation mechanism to monitor the implementation of the Resilience Technical Secretariat, as well as aid in the implementation of the Monitoring and Evaluation System along with the M&E Specialist.
Support the achievement of the Partnerships Coordination Project’s Scholarships Programme by providing logistical and technical assistance. The goal of the scholarship is to help transform Somali students’ expertise relating to resilience and build capacity for staff in the public sector. The Project Management Support Specialist (Resilience) will work closely with the Senior Project Manager to:
- Implement, coordinate and monitor the scholarships programme which will sponsor qualified Somali students to attain a Master’s Degree in a variety of fields related to resilience, including but not limited to; climate change adaptation, livelihoods, durable solutions and sustainable development – in selected postgraduate study programmes.
Accountability for results and the use of resources.
- The EU Partnership Facility’s project management processes are designed to deliver maximum accountability, transparency and results. If a project or processes is not in line with this, it is the responsibility of the Project Management Support Specialist (Resilience) to raise the issue to the Supervisor.
- Contribute to innovation and the adaptation of best practice standards of sustainability and quality.
Impact of Results
The Project Management Support Specialist (Resilience) directly impacts on the achievement of project results by adhering to project management methods and strategies, reducing risks and improving quality and success rates. This consequently reinforces the visibility and image of UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management and strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services.
Qualification & Experience:
- Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Political and/or Social Sciences, Law, International Development, Economics, International Relations or other relevant disciplines is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Political and/or Social Sciences, Law, International Development, Economics, International Relations or other relevant disciplines with a combination of two (2) additional years of relevant professional experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Diploma Certificate in Public Administration, Business Administration, Political and/or Social Sciences, Law, International Development, Economics, International Relations or other relevant disciplines with a combination of four (4) additional years of relevant professional experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
B. Work Experience**
- A minimum of five (5) years’ relevant work experience in the field of International Development Cooperation and/or employment policy gained through work in a Government, Consultancy or International Development Agency context is required.
- Experience in working with and providing policy and technical advice to high ranking officials preferably Government institutions is an asset.
- Experience in resilience programming is an advantage.
- Experience in aid coordination, Somalia and/or other fragile states would be a considerable advantage.
- Experience working on or managing large and complex programmes, in coordination with Government authorities is desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including oral, written and skills;
- Ability to translate strategic thinking and innovative ideas into practical operational recommendations is an asset.
- Excellent analytical skills, ability to synthesize and clearly present complex processes and issues is desirable
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work independently without supervision is an asset.
C. Language requirement**
- Fluency in written and spoken English Language is required.
- Fluency in oral and written Somali language is an asset.
How to apply
The candidate should apply using the below online link: