Action Against Hunger-Horn and Eastern Africa is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security. Action Against Hunger Horn and Eastern Africa is an independent NGO, currently managing operations in Kenya, South Sudan, Somalia, Tanzania, Ethiopia and Uganda. Action Against Hunger-USA has over $60 million in programs, and approximately 1,500 permanent staff based in New York City, Washington D.C, Nairobi, and country office.
1. Summary of Position
The position holder shall be in charge of technical quality implementation and delivery of health and nutrition, FSL and WASH services in the assigned District. S/He will mainly be responsible for the daily implementation of the screening, OTP, consultation, outreach EPI, health education, WASH/sanitation, safe motherhood and child health as well implement delegated FSL Project activities according to the Plan of action.
The project officer purpose, engagement, and delivery are:
The position holder is also expected to provide supervision, technical assistance and capacity building to health extension workers and health workers in health facilities. She/he will be responsible for the daily implementation of health and Nutrition services package as per the standard, supporting health facilities assigned as integrated health & Nutrition modality and ensure that Projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better way to assist, Promote and share ideas for technical improvement and liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders.
- Representing integrated health, Nutrition, WASH and FSL issues at the district level through the engagement of DMO and local authorities.
- Identifying partners and other agencies in the area (gap analysis of who is doing what where), Introduce the program to the local authorities, community representatives, beneficiaries, and partners.
- Developing a framework for communication with local representatives (regular meetings, identification of key local actors, and collaboration with them) to facilitate harmonious and productive relations.
- Participate in regular coordination meetings at field level with the MoH staff
- Organize regular meetings with other sectors within ACTION AGAINST HUNGER and other agencies in the area and plan for joint activities.
- Establishment of quality assurance system for Universal Access to integrated health, Nutrition and WASH.
- Enhancing quality services for mobile health through the establishment of referral of critical cases to respective treatment centers.
- Mapping of draught displaced beneficiaries and report to the supervisor
- Train Health and Nutrition team on the IMAM guidelines
- Delivery of the integrated health, Nutrition, WASH and FSL Programme initiatives.
2. Essential job duties.
Objective 1: Ensure high quality Nutrition and health intervention implemented in Action Against Hunger target locations:
- Ensure delivery of an integrated Health and Nutrition prevention activities for Under 5 Children as well for Pregnant lactating Women.
- Coordinate monthly-integrated mobile health and Nutrition outreaches, with inbuilt screening, identification, and referral of cases.
- Coordinate awareness raising, before and during integrated Health and Nutrition service delivery to mobilize the communities for services.
- Ensure continuous provision of health and Nutrition supplies required to conduct health and Nutrition services are available at all times.
- Ensure integration of WASH and FSL initiatives in the targeted beneficiaries.
- Maintain a good record keeping system and undertake continuous monitoring and regular evaluation of the project activities.
- Collaborate with the district to identify and roll out a communication strategy for the Health program including the printing and distribution of IEC materials focusing on health and Nutrition information.
- Using the existing CHWs and Health workers support the district to conduct health promotion outreach Camps and sensitization activities to promote uptake of health and Nutrition services using messages approved by the Ministry of Health (MoH).
- Coordinate with the community committees to facilitate the quarterly convergence point’s meetings at the district level.
- Plan and coordinate trainings for structures; Peer educators and leaders on Health and Nutrition and support the respective meetings.
- Participate in the development of program work plans and reviewing them on a monthly basis with the Managers.
- Assist in the preparation of the donor reports and project reports.
- Ensure that all activities are implemented according to the work plan and that targets are met.
- Liaises and creates strong linkages and partnerships with other agencies, state, and national stakeholders implementing Health and Nutrition prevention and control services in the targeted area.
Objective 2: Reporting
- Submit reports regularly as required, information to the Managers on program related activities
- Submit weekly, monthly and Quarterly activity reports to Managers.
- Maintain proper records for all correspondences of the program.
- Responsible for sharing minutes for all relevant official meetings held in the field.
Objective 3: Representation & Coordination
- Represent Action Against Hunger in coordination meetings, workshops, working groups, task force meetings.
- Represent Action Against Hunger Program in the District Health Management Team, to ensure all program activities are carried out with their collaboration.
3. Supervisory Responsibilities
No supervisory responsibilities under this position. The incumbent wil provide the necessary support to ACTION AGAINST HUNGER health and nutrition officer as well as District Medical officer in delivery high quality health and nutrition services in Gedo Region, Jubbaland state of Somalia.
4. Gender Equality Commitments
- Foster an environment that supports the values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, disability, religion, race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect all cultures.
5. Fiscal Responsibility
- Supports in monitoring and preparation of budgetary needs for the district
6. Physical Demands
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
7. Working Conditions, Travel, and Environment
- The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required.
- Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business purposes. While performing the duties of this job in the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high-security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as infectious diseases.
8. Required Qualifications and Professional Experience.
- Bachelor in medicine, midwife, Nursing, Social Sciences or related fields,
- Minimum of 3 years of work experience in a similar field in Somalia context.
9. Required Skills & Competencies
- Excellent communication skills-verbal and written ones. Communication in English is a key requirement. Knowledge of Somali language is an advantage.
- Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible, and punctual.
- Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle gender sensitivity
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as to work autonomously when required
- Ability to constructively address gaps and weaknesses.
- Self-motivated, creative, open-minded, flexible and manage personal stress
How to apply
Applications, including CV with cover letter and 3 professional references to be sent via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 26 September 2022 clearly mentioning the position on the subject line. Project Officer-Dolow.
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Action Against Hunger is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ the best-qualified talent