Here at Human Appeal we have an exciting opportunity for a Protection Project Manager to be based at our Somalia office in Mogadishu. This is a 6 month fixed term contract, renewable depending on availability of funding with $1,700-2,000 per month. You will be reporting to Country Director of Somalia.
Human Appeal is a faith-based charity that aims to abolish poverty by providing humanitarian aid, sustainable development programs and championing advocacy for our beneficiaries worldwide. Human Appeal has 7 International Field Offices across Africa, Asia and the Middle East (Iraq, Lebanon, Pakistan, Palestine, Somalia, Turkey, and Yemen). Human Appeal Somalia Field office programme operations are based in Mogadishu, Gedo region and previously Bai region, with programmatic focus in the sectors of; WASH, Shelter, FSL, Education/Child Sponsorship, Protection and Health.
Main Job Purpose
To provide timely programmatic and technical oversight of Human Appeal Somalia Protection projects/programmes, playing an active and lead role in planning, design, implementation, development, monitoring, liaison both internally and externally, and administration of all related protection project activities, supervision and capacity development of staff.
Key Result Indicators
- Successful implementation of Protection projects/programmes;
- Effective monitoring system within and between teams;
- Timely and accurate reporting on progress of projects/programmes;
- Project/Programme growth; in scope and funding levels.
Essential Job Responsibilities
a) Strategic Planning and Management
· Ensure that project activities are developed and are implemented in line with Human Appeal mandate, policies, procedures and country strategy, including donor requirements, national and international rules and guidelines;
· Ensure timely and technically sound implementation of Human Appeal Somalia protection project through supervision of protection team leaders, providing support where necessary on staff management, technical guidance to achieve strategic goals of the protection sector;
· Provide technical expertise for protection programming; act as the technical adviser to all Human Appeal protection interventions and matters;
· Lead in the technical development of concept notes, project proposals, budgets, donor reports, and communication materials to expand the program portfolio of the field office;
· Lead the development of Standard operating Procedures (SOP), guidelines and all technical documents setting protection standards;
· Develop and ensure effective implementation of MEAL mechanisms in coordination with the MEAL team for all protection programming;
· Develop and implement proper case management, tracking, and filing systems; conduct regular follow up with field teams to ensure proper implementation of all administrative systems;
· Prepare and maintain up to date work plans and expenditures plans, in line with project and budget documents;
· Ensure the capacity building and strengthening of the country team capacities on tools for protection interventions;
· Ensure accountability by members of the team to abide by the Code of Conduct, confidentiality, humanitarian principles, and international/organizational codes of practice;
· Monitor humanitarian developments in Somalia in collaboration with the programme team, performing field assessments and conduct ongoing strategic protection analyses and lessons when necessary, and advise the CD of response options.
b) Liaising, Representing and Reporting
· Represent Human Appeal Somalia and actively participate in regional and local coordination, working/sub working groups pertaining to protection; attend other meetings relevant to Human Appeal’s Protection activities to successfully establish positive public impression for Human Appeal Somalia;
· Liaise with national and local authorities and leaders, NGOs and other stakeholders to ensure complementary responses and smooth implementation of Human Appeal Somalia’s Protection activities;
· Ensure timely completion and submission of all reports according to internal and donor requirements, ensuring strict compliance with donor contract requirements and reporting deadlines;
- Document processes and achievements to ensure impact and best practices are captured and disseminated. This will include the continual re-evaluation of protection activities and information, with resulting activity adjustments in keeping with emerging issues in the protection sector;
- Ensure that the teams have up to date information about locally available services for the relevant protection referral pathway.
c) Administrative and Financial Management
· Supervise, track and update all administrative and logistics information for the protection project;
· Ensure project activities are implemented in constant coordination with relevant national and international partners/stakeholders;
· Manage and oversee the work of the protection team members, while ensuring the gradual and effective capacity development of the staff in close coordination with the HR Officer;
· Ensure that all staff respect and adhere to security requirements;
· Understanding of and commitment to the following principles: cultural sensitivity, local ownership, sustainability, inclusiveness, local partnership, non-discrimination, do-no-harm, and apolitical approach; codes of conduct against sexual exploitation and abuse; and against child exploitation and modern slavery;
· Ensure all budgeting, procurement and administrative requirements related to the protection project/programme are met in a timely and effective manner.
Experience and Technical Competencies
· Bachelor’s degree in psychology, social work or related field.
· Minimum of 3 years’ proven experience in protection programming and management and in humanitarian/development settings.
· An excellent understanding of and practical, experience with program design, program management cycle, M&E, budget management and ethics in programming.
· Knowledge and experience of emergency context, especially protection response in emergency/conflict settings.
· Significant experience with institutional donors, including UN donors.
- Experience in developing strategies and strengthening systems.
· Excellent English communication skills (both oral and written).
· Excellent report writing and editing skills.
· Ability to work independently, exercise judgement and flexibility in a very challenging environment.
· Demonstrated organizational skills.
- Strong team leadership and conflict resolution skills, adaptability and interest in capacity building.
· Ability to relate to and motivate team members effectively.
· Highly reliable, able to consistently meet tight deadlines.
- Strong on assessments and case management.
· Solid understanding of the political context in Somalia, including security and economic situation.
· Excellent cross-cultural awareness.
- Experience working in security-sensitive environments and enforcement of team security protocols is an asset.
- Familiarity with the IASC guidelines for interventions in humanitarian settings.
- Master’s degree in relevant field.
Please note this is a local contract, for this role you must have the right to work in Somalia.
How to apply
We are looking to appoint this role ASAP and will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis, so for the best chance of success please click ‘apply’ today to become our Protection Project Manager – we would love to hear from you. ***Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply***
You can apply through this link
Or visit our Human Appeal website.
We look forward to hearing from you!