CARE International is an international NGO working in Somalia. CARE and its partners work with vulnerable communities to address the underlying causes of poverty and promote peace and development, as well as mitigating immediate suffering and displacement caused by drought, conflict, floods disease outbreaks among others We invite applications from experienced and talented individuals for the position of Public Health Program Manager based in Kismayu with travels to the other field sites in Somalia/Somaliland. This assignment will be for a period of twelve (12) months.
CARE International in Somalia is seeking an energetic, self-motivated professional to join the Humanitarian and Emergency Response team in Somalia/Somaliland. Reporting to the Health specialist He/She will be responsible for conducting rapid health assessments, planning, coordinating, implementing and monitoring the Hygiene and behavior change coalition project in response to current COVID 19 disease in Somalia/Somaliland. The successful candidate will be required to have demonstrated experience in and knowledge of hygiene promotion and behavior change approach in Somalia/Somaliland. The person is also expected to lead WASH sector with focus on hygiene promotion and behavior change for a COVID 19 response project. and provide the needed leadership. The incumbent is expected to work in close collaboration with the emergency program team.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Responsibility 1; Implementation of program activities
· Provide the required leadership and technical guidance on the implementation of hygiene and behavior change intervention for COVID 19 in the operational area and ensure efficient use of resources.
· Facilitate the development of project-based work plans while engaging with the hygiene and behavior change officers to ensure implementation of the same.
· Ensure strong collaborative relationships with implementing partners within the program area and oversee the implementing partners including Government departments.
· Manage project budgets and ensure that the financial, programming and reporting is in line with CARE & Donor requirements.
· Direct, oversee and provide guidance to field staff and ensure that all field staff have their Job descriptions and work Plans in place.
Responsibility 2; Representation and External Engagements
· Coordinate all activities of public health with the rest of CARE emergency and the long-term development programs across Somalia/Somaliland and as well as other government and Humanitarian agencies with programs in CARE operational area.
· Attend and actively participate in different sector cluster meetings that take place in the geographical area.
· Provide updates on CARE’s projects at coordination meetings to increase CARE visibility.
· Represent CARE in WASH cluster and related working Group meetings.
· Liaise with all internal and external counterparts of the projects and maintain excellent and productive relations with all key stakeholders, especially beneficiaries, local authorities and the humanitarian community.
· Coordinate and participate in capacity-building initiatives for the project staff and community groups
· Oversee and manage Hygiene and behavior officers and other public health staff.
· Promote team working conditions in the project areas
· Participate in technical and sectoral meetings in the program operation area
· Ensure program visibility in line with the donor requirement line closely working with the health, nutrition and communication sectors lead
Responsibility 3. Staff supervision and Capacity building **
· Coach and mentor field teams, in program implementation, monitoring and report with purpose of ensuring efficiency.
· Undertake performance management of staff supervised
Responsibility 4. Reporting:
· Produce high quality and timely sitreps/reports and donor reports (where necessary) for CARE, within agreed reporting schedules as required.
Key Internal Contacts; Emergency Director /Humanitarian Coordinator // Program Development Manager/Team Leaders/Sector specialists/Humanitarian Program Manager/ MEAL Specialists**
Key External Contacts; Focal points in clusters and other humanitarian agencies (UN and NGO).
Required skills and qualifications
- A Degree in public health, behavior change or any related field;
- At least 5 years of programme experience, working in conflict/post conflict context, with preferred work experience in Somalia
- At least 3 years’ experience in working with IDPs and the host population, preferably in Somalia
- Fluency in English and Somali required
- Ability to operate Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Demonstrated experience in emergency WASH programming
- Experience in Proven budgeting and financial management skills;
- Ability to work and live under difficult conditions.
- Excellent communication and report writing skills