THIS POSITION IS ONLY FOR qualified Somali expatriate
- Position title: Quality Assurance Technical Advisor
- Duty Station: Dhusamareeb, Galmudug, Somalia
- Duration of Assignment: 6 months
- Deadline for applications: 25 December 2019
- Ideal candidate: qualified Somali expatriate only
About MIDA FINNSOM Phase II – Health and Education Project The IOM Migration for Development in Africa (MIDA) programme focuses on strengthening the institutional capacities of Somalia through a structured framework of mobilization of resources involving countries of destination, countries of origin and diasporas. In Somalia, through its MIDA programme, IOM has been helping the Somali Government since 2008 to strengthen the capacity of Somali institutions so that they can be more effective in responding to the needs of Somali people.
MIDA FINNSOM Phase II – Health and Education Project is funded by the Government of Finland, the project aims to facilitate the transfer of skills, competencies and knowledge of qualified Somali expatriates to public institutions in Somalia, with a focus on two sectors, namely health and education. The beneficiary institution will host the qualified Somali expatriate, and will be responsible to provide a safe and secure work environment. The IOM Mogadishu MIDA staff will monitor the expatriates while on assignment.
About the Host Institution
The Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education (MoECHE), Galmudug is mandated as a stewardship and leadership of the education sector and ensuring quality, education equity, and fairness in access to education.
Duties and Responsibilities
Contextual information: MoECHE in Galmudug with assistance from the IOM MIDA project, seeks to build the capacity and knowledge and the quality of the education system. The purpose of the position is to provide support and technical assistance to the Ministry of Education in Galmudug in formulating, reviewing, supporting its approval and dissemination of Quality Assurance in Education.
Under the overall guidance of the Minister and the Director General of the Ministry of Education of
Galmudug Regional State, the expert will be responsible for the following duties:
- Train, coach and mentors the Quality Assurance team of the MOE, REOs/DEOs through providing sound technical guidance, development and application of relevant guidelines and checklists, etc.
- Develop and implement QAS strategies and advice on QAS policies and regulations across the Ministry with emphasis in application processes;
- Strengthen the Technical Capacities of QAS Officers (QASOs) from the MOE, REO to the DEO level through training, mentoring and coaching to help the quality education system of the state.
- Draw and implement a comprehensive monitoring and supervision plan to ensure regular quality assurance activities in primary, secondary and higher education, through the coordination of REOs and DEOs.
- Assist the QAS Director and the Ministry staff in the QAS Unit in executing their responsibilities and transfer skill to the Education Officers in preparation for upward professional mobility in their chosen career.
- Develop effective systems for performance evaluations, management and career development tools;
- Facilitate monthly employee meetings to promote work productivity and collaboration within teams;
- Prepare confidential reports related to the discipline of teachers and equipment, furniture and state of school building.
- Hold conferences and seminars with head teachers, teachers and school committees when necessary.
- Review the existing linkages and communication strategies and recommend how it can be strengthened.
- Provide on-the-job training and supportive supervision of local staff and mentor young
- Somali graduates during the whole period of the assignment;
- Analyse the Ministry’s QAS strategy and policies, assess the impact of changes and make recommendations on their implementation;
- Develop effective research, quality in education, construction and infrastructure frameworks.
- Any other tasks assigned by Ministry of Education of Galmudug outside of your duty stations/TOR.
The advisor will report directly to the Minister and the DG of Ministry of Education of Galmudug
The IOM Somalia MIDA Program Officer will provide administrative support for the participant throughout this assignment through.
Besides the specific outputs mentioned in section IV, MoECHE and MIDA FINNSOM is requiring the following steps/actions to be undertaken throughout the assignment. These are standard requirements for all assignments under this project:
- Transfer of skills: The main responsibility of the qualified Somali expatriate—which he/she will be measured against—will be to ensure continuous and systematic transfer of knowledge and skills as related to the assignment. It will have to be agreed with the beneficiary institution which civil servants will have to benefit from this knowledge.
- Work plan: A work plan must be developed with the Departmental Supervisor during the first week of assignment to provide clear and time-bound activities to successfully implement the outputs of the assignment. This work plan will be shared with the IOM Mogadishu MIDA Programme Officer. This work plan will be revised if the contract will be extended.
- Interim and Final Reports: Monthly progress reports will be submitted by the incumbent to the Supervisor and to IOM Mogadishu MIDA Programme Officer. At the end of the assignment, the Participant must also provide a final report covering the duration of his/her assignment.
- Level of Education: Master’s Degree
- Area of Study: Education or similar fields
- Years of work experience in what area(s): 5 years’ experience in Education management fields
- Languages needed: English and Somali
General skills / Other Requirements:
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to operate as part of a team, but also independently, depending on the situation.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Ability to identify innovative approaches to problems in a challenging environment.
The monthly stipend amount will be determined based on Postgraduate degree and years of relevant experience.
Security and Insurance Modalities
Health insurance, including evacuation due to medical emergency, will be provided by the project. However, experts will be requested to provide a recent medical certificate stating that they are physically well and apt to work in a hardship area in Africa.
Please note that IOM, according to the contract, will not be responsible for the security of the qualified Somali expatriates. The host Ministry/ institution will be responsible for the security of the individual.
Before leaving the country of residence and upon arrival in Somalia, the qualified Somali expatriate will receive a pre-departure briefing including security advice and cultural background.
To apply please send your CV (with two professional references including their email and phone number) and a cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. PDF format is preferred. Kindly write: Quality Assurance TA/MoECHE in the subject field of the email when sending the application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.