BACKGROUND ON IMPACT AND REACH
IMPACT Initiatives is a humanitarian NGO, based in Geneva, Switzerland. The organisation manages several initiatives, including the REACH Initiative. The IMPACT team comprises specialists in data collection, management and analysis, GIS and remote sensing. IMPACT was launched at the initiative of ACTED, an international NGO whose headquarter is based in Paris and is present in thirty countries. The two organizations have a strong complementarity formalized in a global partnership, which allows particularly IMPACT to benefit from ACTED’s operational support on its fields of intervention.
REACH was born in 2010 as a joint initiative of two International NGOs (IMPACT Initiatives and ACTED) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) Operational Satellite Applications Programme (UNOSAT). REACH’s purpose is to promote and facilitate the development of information products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction and development contexts, supporting and working within the framework of the humanitarian reform process. REACH facilitates information management for aid actors through three complementary services: (a) need and situation assessments facilitated by REACH teams; (b) situation analysis using satellite imagery; (c) provision of related database and (web)-mapping facilities and expertise.
ACTED is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide. ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainability of post-crisis interventions and engaging long-term challenges facing our target populations, in order to break the poverty cycle, foster development and reduce vulnerability to disasters. Their interventions seek to cover the multiple aspects of humanitarian and development crises through a multidisciplinary approach which is both global and local, and adapted to each context. Their 3,300 staff are committed to responding to emergencies worldwide, to supporting recovery and rehabilitation, towards sustainable development.
We are currently looking for a REACH Data Officer to lead our MSNA Unit in Somalia.
Department: IMPACT MSNA
Position: REACH Data Officer
Contract duration: 6 months
Starting Date: ASAP
Location: Hargeisa, Somalia
Under the supervision of the Country Coordinator in Somalia, the Assessment Specialist and of IMPACT’s HQ in Geneva, the REACH Data Officer is responsible for the analytical design and implementation of the 2020 MSNA in Somalia. The overall goal of the Data Officer will be to provide technical backstopping to the MSNA. More specifically, he/she will be responsible for the REACH Somalia and 2020 MSNA database set up, analysis and management, including oversight of data cleaning and analysis process, as well relevant IM/Data partner’s engagement as needed.
The Data Officer will be responsible for the following tasks :
- Ensure that management and access rights for REACH Kobo servers aligns with the IMPACT Personally Identifiable Information Standard Operational Procedure.
- Development of assessment Kobo forms based on templates/translations provided by the Assessment Specialist and/or Country Coordinator
- Lead on the development of strategies and standardised processes for handling and analysing data
- Overall oversight and review of the integrity and quality of all outputs developed through the data analysis cell. Direct line management of national GIS/Data Officer(s) if any.
- Coordinate with Assessment staff to develop detailed technical data analysis plans (DAP) for quantitative data collected through REACH/IMPACT assessment cycles
- Coordinate with Assessment staff to identify sampling methodology and to design and implement accurate sampling framework(s)
- Develop and validate R scripts to implement technical DAPs developed, ensuring that these are in line with IMPACT data analysis guidelines for probability samples.
- With the support of Assessment teams, work to develop scripts for daily data checking during data collection processes.
- With the support of Assessment teams, work to develop and implement data cleaning protocols for each assessment cycle, and review data cleaning outputs prior to validation.
- In coordination with Assessment teams and Country Coordinator, provide ad-hoc analysis support to external partners where relevant, where capacity allows, and according to donor contractual requirements.
GIS and spatial analysis
- Identify map information needs;
- Identify and access map information sources;
- Ensure accurate linkages between spatial databases and assessment data;
- Production of GIS products including maps and factsheets.
- Ensure the produced maps meet the requirements of REACH and concerned partners.
Coordination and representation
- Manage logistics, financial, administration and HR processes related to the data cell, and liaise accordingly with relevant ACTED counterparts. He/she is directly responsible for the compliance to ACTED FLAT procedures of all activities and teams that s/he supervises
- Coordinate work across different cells within the GIS/Data department through weekly meetings.
- Represent the Data cell at the IMPACT country mission weekly coordination meeting.
- Represent the IMPACT Data cell directly in relevant discussions with external partners regarding ongoing or upcoming work cycles.
The REACH Data Officer will maintain the strictest confidentiality on all data collected and related processes. He/she will actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of any information and data belonging to IMPACT and its partners, or collected during his/her assignment with IMPACT
- Excellent academic qualifications, including a Master degree in Statistics, Economy, GIS, Information Systems, or relevant discipline;
- Minimum of 2,5 year of experience working in information management, database management or a related field
- Proven experience in data processing and/or analysis (using R mandatory);
- Advanced MS Excel skills (Advanced usage of formulas, Pivot tables, Lookup functions)
- Considerable experience using ODK for quantitative data collection
- Considerable experience creating ODK questionnaires
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills;
- Experience with industry standard mapping tools, especially ESRI products is desired;
- Excellent team working skills
- Good organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to think creatively in terms of tool and process development
- Positive attitude and a willingness to learn
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility
- Fluency in English one other local language required
- Ability to work independently
- Salary defined by the IMPACT salary grid; educational level, expertise, hardship, security, and performance are considered for pay bonus
- Additional monthly living allowance
- Free lodging provided at the organisation’s guesthouse or housing allowance (depending on contract length and country of assignment)
- Transportation costs covered, including additional return ticket + luggage allowance
- Provision of medical, life, and repatriation insurance + retirement package
How to apply
Kindly submit your application to the following link: https://www.impact-initiatives.org/work-with-us/vacancies/reach-data-off…
In case you encounter challenges using the application form, please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org.