Overview of position
Our client has been requested by the EU to provide support by filling in the identified gaps with flexible tools and mechanisms to implement the NDP/CAS structure by establishing a Partnership Coordination Facility for Somalia. Coordinated efforts are essential in order to transform Somalia into a more resilient economy with greater security, gender equity, improved human development, stronger infrastructure, and better access to basic services that are delivered by accountable governmental institutions. This transformation is hindered by slow institutions that are unable to respond quickly to emerging needs. The project will allow these needs to be identified by the current government coordination mechanisms, and to be satisfied in a timely, strategic manner. One of the specific objectives of the Partnership Facility Project is to support the work on the inclusive politics agenda including democratization through elections, the constitutional architecture and federalization.
The overall purpose of this advisory action is to provide specialist and high level advisory support to the Somaliland National Electoral Commission. The purpose of this action is to support the NEC’s senior leadership team to carry-out its functions with regards to the Electoral Commission’s mandate in organizing Somaliland’s presidential elections, parliamentary elections, local council elections and referendums.
- Advise focal point and coordinator for all day to day operations of the NEC
- Support preparation of election operation plan, timeline and budget.
- Coordinate the execution of election operation plan and timeline
- Ensure project documents are complete, current, and filed appropriately
- Secure all documentation for ongoing projects and linked to monthly financial reports
- Provide technical and operational guidance to the NEC secretariat and Regional and District Offices Provide policy and strategic advice to NEC Commissioners on a day to day election and Voter Registrations operations.
- Support with the supervision of the work of NEC Departments including the training department, civic education, voter registration, electoral dispute resolution, and others and ensure organizational conformity regulations, operation plan, policies, electoral laws, and timeline.
- Facilitate training courses on voter registration and election aspects to the Regional and District staff of the National Election Commission.
- Coordinate various election and democratization stakeholders included Domestic Observers, International Election Observers, Media, Political Parties, Civil Society Organizations and Government agencies.
- Compile reports and briefings submitted by the various NEC departments.
- In consultation with the NEC, organize seminars, briefing sessions, and consultations.
- Organize the NEC’s monitoring and evaluation of project activities, including ensuring that data is consistently collected, inputted, analysed, and reported and that other activities are properly implemented.
- Identify risks and prepare mitigation measures with consultation of respected departments and offices.
- Contribute to monthly, quarterly, and annual reports
The position reports to the Project Manager
• Proven ability to work independently with minimal supervision and direction.
• Capable of working with others in a participatory and capacity building manner.
• Ability to establish and maintain excellent contacts with colleagues, government officials, community representatives and contractors.
• Self-motivated, versatile and adaptable to different cultures and people.
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize work schedules.
• Experience & Skills
• A minimum of 4 years’ relevant work experience
• Experience with Electoral Commissions a considerable advantage.
• Experience in Somalia and / or other fragile states would be a considerable advantage.
• Experience working on or managing large and complex programmes, in coordination with Government authorities.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including oral, written and skills;
• Ability to translate strategic thinking and innovative ideas into practical operational recommendations;
• Excellent analytical skills, ability to synthesize and clearly present complex processes and issues; Ability to meet tight deadlines and work independently without supervision;
Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply