Overview of position
The mandate of the Ministry of Planning, Investment and Economic Development involves planning and coordinating the development priorities and activities of all national, regional and local authorities as well as development partners in a more coherent and organized manner in line with the objectives of the Federal Government of Somalia. The ministry, in partnership with line ministries, private sector and development partners, promotes enabling environment for sustainable development, national resilience, employment and economic growth. The ministry has undergone radical reform and restructuring to meet the wider expectations of the post-conflict recovery and reconstruction agenda.
The Ministry of Planning, Investment and Economic Development (MOPIED) play a substantive and substantial role in the overall system for Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation, as well as the statistics. From an overall approach, the core mandated areas of MOPIED must be implemented in a coordinated fashion throughout Government level, MOPIED is leading and involved in an intense series of coordination efforts both horizontally within the Federal Government of Somalia and vertically with the Federal Member States. (FMS)
The Senior Advisor on FMS relations ensures that the coordination and implementation of socioeconomic and resilience programs are in line with the good governance principles of transparency, accountability and participation, particularly ensuring that strong emphasis is placed on gender, women, youth and marginalized groups.
Consultant Role Objectives
The Senior FMS relations Advisor will provide a wide range of support to MoPIED with a comprehensive approach to assist Federal Member State. The consultant will ensure that the FMS is credible, and provides service delivery to the community so that increasing public investment in resilience, socio economic and development programs are in line with good governance and ensuring FMS participation through:
- Supporting the design of legislative frameworks, regulations and guidelines of relevance to resilience and recovery programs;
- Supporting the strengthening of the capacity of key departments at the federal and state-level Ministry of Planning, Investment and Economic Development to carry out their mandate;
- Support the ministry to put in place appropriate monitoring and evaluation mechanisms of all activities to ensure that the key objectives are met in an accountable and transparent manner.
Summary of key functions
- Ensure that MoPIED plays an active role in policy advice, strategic thinking and knowledge sharing through conducting policy briefings and participating in missions related to FMS resilience and recovery programs and promoting the flow of information to donors, government institutions, and other relevant stakeholders.
· Support MoPIED to ensure the efficient day-to-day management of all resilience and recovery programs and capacity building activities and support MoPIED resilience department, provide quality control of MoPIED activities to ensure efficient implementation of the work plan.
· Support MoPIED to design and supervise the capacity building and training programs, monitoring and evaluation frameworks and ensure timely implementation of activities to achieve appropriate coordination and harmonization of all project activities.
- Ensure that MoPIED plays an active role in policy advice, strategic thinking and knowledge sharing through conducting policy briefings and participating in missions related to FMS resilience and recovery; and promoting the flow of information to donors, government institutions, and other relevant stakeholders.
· Provide support to MoPIED to organize and participate in policy forums with relevant stakeholders, including other institutions, civil society, the private sector, and donor organizations to ensure coherency in approaches to related policy agendas.
· Provide support to MoPIED to write policy and strategy briefings as required on relevant issues for resilience and recovery programs.
· Strengthen the capacity of MoPIED to ensure that all donor support contributes to the improvement in service delivery, accountability and transparency. That gender sensitivity and other relevant cross-cutting issues are being addressed.
· Provide policy and strategic advice to relevant government stakeholders on policy and guideline requirements for the resilience and recovery,
· Provide support to MoPIED and FMS to identify options for resource mobilization and promote policy discussions with relevant government agencies and donors on this issue.
· Set up a system in MoPIED to gather relevant information including maps, reports and other
material that enhance the knowledge needed to further implementation of the reform programs and help ensure that this information is made available to all stakeholders promptly.
- Support MoPIED to ensure the efficient day-to-day management of all resilience and recovery programs and capacity building activities under the Resilience Coordination Secretariat.
· Support the Resilience Coordination Secretariat in providing strategic oversight and direction for resilience and recovery interventions, through preparing a forward-looking calendar, strategic agendas, and annual work plan.
· Provide appropriate support to MoPIED Chair of the Resilience Coordination Secretariat and the FMS Focal Points to ensure that all resilience and recovery programs are well planned and coordinated and that FMS specific projects coherently take place.
· Provide support to MoPIED in liaison with counterparts with regards to all donor-funded activities and facilitate efficient management of the resilience and recovery programs by government counterparts to ensure accountability, transparency and good governance principles.
· In consultation with relevant MoPIED staff, provide support to the preparation of work plans and budgets necessary to meet the outputs.
- Support MoPIED to design and supervise the capacity building and training programs, monitoring and evaluation frameworks and ensure timely implementation of activities to achieve appropriate coordination and harmonization of all resilience and recovery programs.
· Assist MoPIED and FMS line ministries in identifying human resource needs, assisting in the preparation and regular updating of Terms of Reference for staff and consultants and conduct regular performance reviews as required.
· Help ensure that staff capacity and capability is utilized most efficiently to achieve service delivery at the federal and state level.
· Help facilitate team building and coordination between all MoPIED and FMS line ministries staff to ensure improved output.
· Assist MoPIED in preparation of relevant progress reports on activities of resilience and recovery programs which are directly linked to identified outputs and activities.
· Assist MoPIED in carrying Monitoring and Evaluation on the resilience and recovery programs that are implemented at the federal and state level.
· The consultants will provide quarterly progress reports to the Permanent Secretary of MoPIED summarizing work done not later than 20 days after the end of the quarter. The reports are to be approved by the Permanent Secretary of MoPIED.
The position will report to the Project Manager
· At least ten years of relevant experience working in government ministries or public institutions.**
· Comprehensive understanding in a government system.**
· Experience in promoting FMS capacity building and governance in, and in conflict environments**
· Management experience and experience working as an advisor**
· Experience in representing the government in multi-stakeholder forums**
· Self-motivated and can work with a little or non-supervision.**
· Ability to push ministries agenda forward, be persuasive and at the same time collaborative, supportive and diplomatic in all dealings.**
· Ability to be calm and well-humored while under pressure**
· Fluency in written and spoken English and Somali required.**
· Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration or Political Science or any other relevant field master’s degree is an added advantage.
· At least ten years of relevant experience working in government ministries or public institutions.
· Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Priority will be given to qualified female candidates.
How to apply
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website as a candidate & apply for this role using this link: