Background: The International Rescue Committee has been working in Somalia since 2006, providing essential services to conflict and disaster affected communities. The IRC has been operational in Central Somalia (Mudug and Galgadud regions) and Mogadishu implementing interventions in the areas of livelihood, WASH and health reaching out to more than 200,000 conflict and drought affected people.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITY: IRC Somalia is working to achieve optimal performance in terms of program quality strengthening operations and finance department by emerging tools, systems and staff capacity to adhere to IRC policies and procedures and donor compliance.
SUN System and Month End Processing
- Control over and/or entry of changes to the Chart of Accounts, Analysis Codes and Exchange Rates.
- Posting of entries ensuring proper controls are enforced and appropriate systems in place to maintain all required supporting documentation.
- Developing expertise to control the system, develop new reports and be able to train staff in processing of data.
- Ensuring a backup and retention procedure is in place and followed for all SUN master files. Load the SUN Back up to Bitvise – Site on New York’s confirmation.
- Review of key journal prior to loading – field financial reports balance sheet revaluation, currency clearing and adjustment journals.
- work schedule to ensure that the SAF file is loaded in New York by the 12th of every month
- Ensure that all month end sequentially filed monthly journals are presented to the FC and CD for signature before the 21st of every month.
- Review of Monthly payrolls.
- Preparation of the staff deductions
- Preparation of the Balance sheet file.
- Preparation the LOC Estimate.
- Assist in preparation of the FM01 and TR reports**
Budgets & Donor Reports
- Assisting the Roving Finance Manager in the preparation of the budget proposals.
- Work on Grant T2s and preparation of forecasts and spending plans for grant meetings.
- Ensure Budgets are coded and uploaded in the Online BvA system.
- Ensuring donor regulations are adhered to for all aspects of the operations
- Assist the Roving Finance Manager in the preparation of timely donor reports as per the donor agreements & contracts
Partnerships/ Sub grant Management
- Assist the Roving Finance Manager in review of sub-grants reports to ensure timely upload of expenditure and transfer of funds.
- Assist the Roving Finance Manager to review of sub-grant advance amounts versus expenditure reported.
- Liaise with the Senior Partnership Officer in identifying gaps for capacity building of the partners.
- Follow up on pre- assessment reviews to determine capacity needs of sub- grantees.
Bank & Cash management
- Supervision of the processing of bank and cash transactions.
- Review finance documents up to $10,000.
- Ensuring internal control procedures are followed for all cash disbursements, receipts and transfers
- Preparation of Cash forecasts and Cash Transfer Requests (CTR) for the Country Program by the 21st of every month through FM01.
- Ensure that there is sufficiency of bank reserves at all times.
- Ensuring that the bank updates and correspondence are done.
Field Office Training & Support
- Acting as the primary liaison for the field office finance staff for policy or procedure questions.
- By frequent visits to the field offices providing training to finance staff on IRC accounting procedures and requirements, assists the Field Coordinators and program staff in finance related issues and activities.
- Train field managers on budget tracking, salary mapping, review burn rates and provide advise if spending is not happening according to plan.
- Identify areas of staff development. Review of field office financial reports and providing feedback on areas of improvement.
- Internal audit activities as required by the Roving Finance Manager.
- Assist in grant audits and verification
- Regular and open communication with IRC staff from all departments.
- To represent the finance department in the weekly tender committee meetings when nominated to do so.
- To be the Roving Finance Manager’s back up in all aspects.
- Carry out finance orientation for new incoming staff and training non-finance staff.
- A bachelor’s degree in Finance/Business Administration with minimum CPA qualification.
- At least three years of finance and accounting experience in a similar post.
- Knowledge of fund accounting, procurement and financial management of US and UN cooperative agreements..
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software. SUN System Accounting is an added advantage.
- Ability to work independently in a rapidly changing professional environment with a view towards establishing administrative procedures and protocol that will ensure optimal functioning of the operation.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and time management skills.
- Supportive personnel management style and ability to work in and as a team.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
How to apply
You can apply using the following link:
- Standards of Professional Conduct:The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
- Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.