SPECIAL VACANCY NOTICE
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title: Senior Local Security Assistant
Vacancy Number: SVN/IOMSO/061/2019
Duty Station: Dollow, Somalia
Classification: General Service Grade G6
Type of Appointment: Short term, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 22 December 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of SSU Somalia and direct supervision of the Field Security Officer (FSO) Mogadishu the incumbent will assist in the implementation of IOM safety and security policies and guidelines, programs and measures. In particular, he/she will:-
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Required Qualifications and Experience
· Bachelor degree or equivalent in social science, law enforcement or certified graduation from military intelligence/police academy.
· Computer literacy with a high degree of proficiency in commonly used applications such as Word, PowerPoint and Excel is required.
· The ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with others with diverse professional backgrounds is required. The ability to handle a heavy workload efficiently with minimal supervision and understanding the importance of close teamwork is highly regarded. In security/emergency services dedication to one’s duty is paramount and flexibility and commitment to these duties in an emergency will be expected and appreciated.
· Training in emergency and disaster response is an added advantage.
· Knowledge of the UN radio system and the use of its related equipment.
· Senior DSS LSA certification.
· Valid driving license. AV and ETB certification.
· At least 5 years’ experience in the rank of Commissioned Officer in the intelligence/armed/police forces or 3 years with INGO with security responsibilities, with at least 2 years relevant experience with UNDSS or UN-AFPO in security function.
· Good political and social knowledge of the country and specifically Banadir region.
Fluency in English and Somali is required.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
· Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
· Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
· Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies –
· Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
· Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
· Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
· Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
· Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
· Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
· Empowering others and building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
· Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Special Vacancy Notice Number (SVN No.), Position Title and the Duty Station with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: email@example.com