- PURPOSE OF DIVISION: Through capacity building and through technical and Programme support, the Country Programme Division keeps the organization focused on the socioeconomic and humanitarian needs of vulnerable people. The division reinforces IR’s implementing structure to enable these people and their communities to develop themselves sustainably and ensures that the organization is prepared to respond promptly and effectively to humanitarian crises. The division increases the organization’s ability to tackle poverty by developing and fostering partnerships and institutional relationships effectively and proactively, and by ensuring transparent and timely reporting to the organization’s donors.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
- In the context of IRW-S strategy, this role strengthens our commitment towards protection and inclusion, and ensures no one gets left behind. The Senior Officer will work within a team with other protection and inclusion and safeguarding officers, MEAL team and will provide a focus on gender. The Senior Officer leads on roll out and updating of IRW-S Gender Justice Policy. The role will lead on ensuring IRW’s Program design and implementation is sensitive to issues around protection and inclusion (with a focus on gender).
- The role will ensure that IRW-S further develops its Muslim faith approaches and evidence base of their effectiveness in driving positive transformation for dignity in our communities and shares such learning within the sector. The individual will influence & develop internal quality standards and guidelines that mainstream protection & inclusion in a sustainable manner. The role will ensure support to field offices through training, developing IRW-S communities of practice and more direct bid and implementation support. The role will generate learning internally, engage with external stakeholders, and externally publish best practice. The role ensures IRW-S contribution to the SDGs is of high quality, in particular SDG 5.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
Key Working Relationships
- Work and influence IRW-S operations & humanitarian departments to ensure IR Operations are sensitive to Gender protection and inclusion.
- Work with other Programme quality teams in relation to MEAL, Protection/ Inclusion and Policy.
- Coordinate and support work with External Relations and Advocacy to ensure structural change
- Work with external networks and bodies in relation to protection and inclusion
- Contribute as a key stakeholder to the work of IRW-S inclusivity and sensitivity working group
- Support Programme Funding and Partnerships department in developing quality bids
- Support IRW-S Fundraising department campaigns to ensure media material is sensitive to gender, protection and inclusion issues for new staff and visitors.
SCOPE AND AUTHORITY
Scope of the Role
- The post holder will lead internally in establishing effective protection and inclusion systems and frameworks that provide IRW-S assurance that it is meeting industry standards in relation to Gender.
- The post holder is the owner of IRW-S Gender Justice Policy.
- She/he will lead on engage with relevant networks within the multi-lateral, national government and INGO communities.
- The role will provide core technical lead and direction for protection and inclusion, with a Gender focus, in country offices in relation to ensuring international standards are maintained.
Responsibility for Resources:
- Budgets in relation to relevant funding secured.
- Management of directly managed staff such s safeguarding and inclusion officers, assistants
- Consultants where gender analysis, safeguarding assessment is required
- Relevant internal policies such as developing gender strategy inclusion strategy and safeguarding
- IRW Data on gender
- Programme strategy, design and delivery (approx. 35%)
- Provide clear country technical leadership in the area of ‘Protection & Inclusion’ with a focus on gender. Ensuring that an effective framework and assurance systems are in place in relation to protection and inclusion with a focus on gender. This should work within IRW-S quality management system and enable assurance reporting to IRW-S senior management.
- Develop strategies to integrate protection and inclusion, including gender mainstreaming, into Country Office Programmes and processes.
- Lead on ensuring that IRW-S gender related policies are regularly reviewed and updated and are linked to IRW-S quality management systems
- Further develop and build upon existing protection and inclusion faith approaches, in particular to gender and development, especially in relation to influencing and engaging faith leaders
- Ensure IRW-S protection and inclusion approaches are in line with international standards such as Core Humanitarian Standards, and IASC, contribute and report in relation to SDGs and the Agenda for humanity with a focus on the inclusion charter.
- Support and contribute to IRW-S tools and discussions which assess protection and inclusion through the inclusivity working group, ensure incorporation of gender perspectives.
- Identify potential funding opportunities and establish systems to ensure IRW-S bids are robust in the aspects relating to protection and inclusion with a focus on gender.
- Deploy to support Country operations in relation to gender, protection and inclusion when required and be part of IRW-S Humanitarian surge roster
- Project/Programme manage distinct pieces of work related to funded programmes
Capability Building, learning & innovation (approx. 30%)
- Lead on the strengthening of a culture of learning quality and innovation in relation to Protection and inclusion, with a focus on Gender. An analytical approach should be used to produce robust evidence and data.
- Ensure IRW-S systems are kept abreast of current trends and best practice in relation to Protection and inclusion, with a focus on Gender
- Draft policy papers, briefs and other strategic program materials for management use, information and/or consideration. This should include evidence of best practice and areas of improvement
- Ensure all IR country offices are up to date with minimum IRW and international standards in relation to Protection and inclusion, with a focus on Gender
- Develop a strategy that will enable the implementation of capability building initiatives to enhance the competencies of IR staff and partners to promote sustainable results in Protection and inclusion, with a focus on Gender. This may include ToT, e-modules, face to face training, knowledge bases, webinars etc.
- Ensure that key learning and risks in relation to Protection and inclusion, with a focus on Gender from IRW global operations are disseminated to appropriate stakeholders and tracked in a user-friendly manner.
- Proactively exchange learning and synergy with other international stakeholders within the sector.
- Support MEAL section in relation to Protection and inclusion, with a focus on Gender e.g. evaluations
External engagement, influence, funding and partnerships (approx. 30%)
- Profile IRW-S achievements in Protection and inclusion, with a focus on Gender with current and potential donors
- Write articles for influential publications on Protection and inclusion, with a focus on Gender and represent IRW at meetings, conferences, etc. as required.
- Network with key external stakeholders to find areas of collaboration, best practice, innovation, funding opportunities and knowledge sharing.
- Participate and influence external platforms related to Protection and inclusion, with a focus on Gender in line with IRW-S learning
- Play a leadership role in identified external forums and with government donors e.g. DEC, CHS Alliance, SPHERE
Management (approx. 5%)
- Lead and strengthen any line managed staff by ensuring their development, empowerment and having a clear results focus.
- Ensure staff meetings are held regularly and performance reviewed
- Ensure own management knowledge is kept up to date
- Ensure any consultants who are utilized are identified based on value for money and managed effectively.
- Carry out other duties as may be assigned or required from time to time
PERSON SPECIFICATION ESSENTIAL
- Excellent knowledge of current sector trends in relation to gender, protection and inclusion in the context of INGOs
- Track record and experience of developing and engaging with Islamic faith approaches in relation to gender, protection and inclusion.
- Experience and working knowledge of gender, protection and inclusion issues in international development PREFERABLY IN East African countries. Somali experience is added advantage
- Experience of developing and leading on frameworks and systems development in relation to gender, protection and inclusion
- Experience of engaging, influencing and sharing best practice with external agencies and internal stakeholders in relation to gender, protection and inclusion
- Track record of effectively collaborating, mobilising and working across an organisation with limited resources
- Experience in developing and delivering effective capability training, be it technology based or face to face.
- Experience of writing and communicating learning effectively, internally and externally
- Experience of managing projects and/or people (directly/matrix)
- Track record in successfully contributing to successful funding bids.
- Strong communication and representation skills
- Ability to synthesise data and information effectively
- Report/toolkit writing skills in English
- Excellent inter-personal and presentation skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Good oral presentation skills
- Training skills
- Working calmly under pressure and resilient
- Willingness and ability to travel within Somalia and somaliland (up to 30%) at times with short notice
- Team worker
- It is essential that the post holder shows a good understanding and empathy with
the Islamic values and principles as well as commitment to IRW’s vision and mission
- Proactive approach to self-development
- A graduate degree in Gender and development; women’s studies, social sciences, international development, international relations or other development-related fields.
- Extensive track record in innovative Programme learning and writing material that has been published in the area of gender, protection and inclusion.
- Excellent strategic thinker with experience in writing strategic reports for senior management.
- Good knowledge of gender, protection and inclusion issues in relation to CHS,SDGs and IASC standards.
- Post graduate qualification in relation to gender, protection and inclusion
- Substantive experience and record of accomplishment in gender equality and women’s empowerment issues at policy and programming level;
- Experience with implementing gender mainstreaming agendas across a variety of sectors, including experience gender mainstreaming in emergencies, development, food security and Health intervention.
- Experience of working in and within East African countries
- Knowledge of minimum humanitarian standards and other National and international guidelines
- Fluency in written and spoken English
Equal Opportunities : YES
Child Safeguarding: The position interacts with children and hence requires utmost compliance when dealing with children
How to apply
Each application should be addressed to the HR account: hr.mogadishu@islamic-relief.SO
-An updated CV and application letter • Copy of your Somali National ID card or passport.
– Contact information for three work-related referees.
– Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
-Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. IRW is an equal opportunity employer.
Note: Please make sure the job title in the mail subject line is clear as Senior Programme Officer-Gender and Inclusion- Mogadishu