The Somaliland Development Fund – Phase 2 (SDF2) covers the period 2018-2023. SDF2 is conceived as an inclusive economic development programme. It supports the GoSL in delivering infrastructure that is relevant for inclusive economic development. It focuses on sustainable investments that spur job creation and fast growth, while at the same time laying the foundation for long-term resilience and development, leading to a more stable and peaceful Somaliland. SDF2’s support is fully aligned with government priorities as defined in the National Development Plan 2 (NDP2) 2017-2021 and reflect the priorities set out in Somaliland Vision 2030.
The Government of Somaliland (GoSL) has made commendable strides towards enhancing the
management of the Public resources. In in 2013, the GoSL approved the Somaliland Public Financial Management (PFM) Reform Strategy establishing a PFM Reform Unit in the Ministry of Finance. The mission of the PFM Reform Program is to “achieve the highest possible Efficiency, Transparency and Accountability in the allocation, management and use of public finances to meet the Somaliland Government’s Development and Economic growth priorities”. Somaliland has also launched its second National Development Plan (NDP II) in July 2017, which for the first time includes a Result Based Management framework with 223 outcomes and 321 outcome indicators for 9 sectors and 3 cross-cutting themes, a prerequisite in bringing plans, budgets and results together.
To achieve, the mission of the mission of the PFM reform, the planning, budgeting and M&E
processes across the GoSL institutions should be harmonised. Towards this end, the Ministry of Planning and National Development (MoPND) has developed a Project Concept Note for a project to improve public resource management systems for funding under SDF2 which has been dully approved to proceed to the development of a full project proposal. The proposed project seeks to invest in development of regulatory frameworks, instruments and tools in planning, budgeting and M&E that will form the basis for improved decision-making and evidence-based resource allocation at the higher echelons of Government.
The SDF Secretariat is therefore seeking the services of a Senior Public Resource Management
Systems Expert (STE) as a Team Leader for supporting the MoPND and the Ministry of Finance
Development (MoFD) in conducting the necessary preliminary consultations, assessments and
development of a full project proposal.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Experience
Qualifications and skills
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Public Resource Management, or similar
- Demonstrated excellent command of spoken and written English; and
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills
General professional experience
- Extensive previous experience (minimum 12 years) in the design and implementation of government led planning, budgeting, and/or M&E systems;
- Proven understanding of Project Cycle Management (PCM), Logical Framework Approach (LFA); and
- Demonstrated experience in conducting feasibility appraisal and design of instruments and tools for public resource management systems (planning, budgeting, M&E).
Specific professional experience
- At least 8 years’ experience in designing and/or supervising/managing projects related to public resource management in fragile country(s);
- Designed and wrote proposal for a government led planning, budgeting, and/or M&E system at least once in the last 3 years; and
- Conducted at least one feasibility or prefeasibility study for a government led planning, budgeting, and/or M&E system in the last 3 years.
This Consultancy is open to Somaliland and International Candidates.
Women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their application (cover letter and CV) to the Somaliland
Development Fund Secretariat through e-mail email@example.com. Candidates should indicate in their cover letter how they fit the criteria outlined in the advert. All applications must be received by 28 October 2019 at 1600hrs East African Standard Time. Applicants should clearly indicate the position they are applying for in the email subject line. Full Terms of Reference can be accessed on the SDF website through the link https://www.somalilanddevelopmentfund.org/opportunities-open
Any attempt by a candidate to influence the outcome of the recruitment process in any way which
can be interpreted as canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification from being considered for this position.