Job title-Short Term Consultant Engineer
Location-Mogadishu, Somalia with frequent travel to site locations
Reporting to-Education Manager –ESPIG
Start date-As soon as possible
The Global Partnership for Education (GPE) funded Education Sector Program Implementation Grant (ESPIG) focuses on the primary education subsector and seeks to expand equitable access to quality primary education opportunities, improving learning outcomes, ensuring the acquisition of foundational skills at the expected level for each grade, and enhance system capacity at the Federal Government of Somalia’s Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education (MOECHE) and Federal Member State Ministries of Education. The ESPIG grant aims to address the needs of large numbers of out-of-school children in South Central Somalia, with a focus on children from marginalized groups such as IDPs, pastoralists/nomads, urban poor, and children with disabilities, and with a particular emphasis on girls. The grant is implemented by the Federal Government of Somalia Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education in collaboration with the Federal Member States Ministries of Education in Jubaland, Southwest, Galmudug, Hirshabelle and Banaadir Regional Administration with CARE as Grant Agent and Concern Worldwide as sub-contractor.
Under the GPE ESPIG, two Teacher Training Institutes (TTIs) will be constructed. The two TTIs will be established with the capacity to enroll 240 student teachers and 60 children with special needs. The two TTIs are expected to serve the four regional states. One TTI will be located in Beledweyne and will serve Galmudug and Hirshabelle while the other TTI will be located in Baardheere and will serve Southwest and Jubaland regional states.
CARE Somalia is seeking to recruit a short term Consultant Engineer to support the on-going Education Sector Implementation Grant. Reporting to Education Manager, the consultant Engineer will provide oversight of the construction of the two Teacher Training Institutes in Beledweyne and Baardheere.
Technical Support and Facilitation
· Supervise, monitor and evaluate the construction components of the two Teacher Training Institutes and ensure adherence to quality, standards, work design and technical specifications.
· Support with the implementation of a quality control system to ensure appropriate monitoring of contractors through daily, weekly and/or monthly tracking reports, checklist, spot-checks and milestones to ensure correct construction practices are checked and implemented.
· Identify and review proposed activity work plan including key milestones and indicate timings of proposed visits (by senior staffs and management) to site.
· Ensure that work schedules are adhered to and to report any deviances (positive or negative) to Education Manager for any corrective or remedial measures to be implemented to meet schedules.
· Assess and evaluate Contractors activities in terms of technical, equipment and resource capacities on regular basis to ensure a continuous and unhindered construction activity free of delays.
· Work on satisfactory completion of agreed works, with all necessary supporting documents and certification.
· Supervise works and provide technical guidance and carry out periodic work measurement with the contractors.
· To document all project information including GIS mapping and filing the data/information as required.
· Conduct regular site meetings with Contractor and/or contractor representatives to be updated on issues, problems, schedules, materials, equipment and overall work activity. Document and file minutes of these site meetings for future reference.
Coordination and Representation
· To liaise with local authorities and Government Departments to identify and comply with existing regulations.
· Coordinate and collaborate with other partners (Contractor, Government Agencies and Ministry Representations, Community Leads, Other Relevant Organizations) in the project area.
· Ensure that relevant government ministries or departments are informed of any activity at the site(s) that would require assistance or coordination with the aforementioned government agencies operating in the same sector.
Planning and Reporting
· Prepare weekly and monthly activity plans, and progress reports on the construction of the two TTIs. These work activity plans shall be coordinated/synchronized/harmonized with contractor’s/partners activity.
· Ensure maintenance of proper and up-to-date stock records at work sites.
· Provide prompt updates to Education Manager with regard to technical challenges encountered during project implementation.
Qualifications & Experience:
· Degree/Diploma in Civil/Building Construction Engineering (preferred); or
· Vocational training in a relevant field from a recognized institution
· At least 3 to 5 years hands on experience in Project Management of construction activities, primarily schools and buildings, and secondly borehole development and construction, elevated storage reservoirs, various water supply systems.
· Working experience in design of infrastructure particularly school buildings, roads, infrastructure and utilities, water supply;
· Ability to conduct detailed structural appraisal, development of tender documentation to include bills of quantities, technical specifications, draft contracts, drawings and plans.
· Working knowledge of Auto CAD or other construction software along with GIS mapping is a must.
· Proficiency in MS Office (Excel, Word, Power Point)
· Ability to work in and with a team and willing to learn.
· Demonstrated understanding of Somalia context that govern construction activities; building code, mandatory certifications and other regulations.
· Past experience in construction of school and education institutes will be a considerable advantage.**
Special Skills, Aptitude or Personality Requirements:
· Strong interpersonal, motivational, communication and coordination skills.
· Ability to work under pressure and to strict deadlines.
· Ability and willingness to spend (potentially extended) periods of time in Bardheere and Beletweyn for construction site supervision.
· Good team player, flexible and capable of working in a culturally diverse environment
· Excellent coaching, facilitation and capacity-building skills.
· Empathy with Concern Worldwide goals and a commitment, accountability, participation and gender equality.
How to apply
All interesting consultants should send their updated CVs, expecting consultancy fee per month( The financial proposals) and with minimum three professional referees should be sent to email@example.com with the subject line ”Short Term Consultant Engineer”. Applications should be submitted no later than 21th April 2020 16:00pm
Note: Submitting the financial proposal is a key requirement and if missing your application will not be considered for further processing. **