MINISTRY OF EDUCATION, CULTURE & HIGHER EDUCATION
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Short term Consultant for Developing a Policy Framework on Early Childhood Education (ECE)
ECE Policy framework and implementation guideline
Background and Context
Currently, Early Childhood Development (ECD) is becoming a global agenda to ensure children grow to their full developmental potential. And Early Childhood Education (ECE) is a critical sub sector of it. The Government of Somalia recognizes that ECE interventions are significant to the social and economic development of the country as these interventions provide children with a fairer and better start in life. Although in Somalia ECE remains an under-resourced sub-sector, majority of children in age group 3-6 years appear to be enrolled in Quranic schools, which fall under the authority of the Ministry of Religion and are typically funded and managed by parents or community-level organizations. In Somalia, no clear national policy framework or quality standards are in place for formal ECE; there are no qualification or training systems in place for ECE teachers; there is no standardized formal ECE curriculum framework and no government certified ECE learning materials for small children.
Presently, the government of Somalia, particularly Ministry of Education needs to prioritize the development of an ECE policy framework that covers formal ECE and Integrated Quranic Schools. The policy framework will need to address issues related to children’s holistic development, financing system of the ECE sub-sector, curriculum and quality standards for teachers (as well as teacher/caregiver training) and learning materials to ensure full alignment to the state building and peacebuilding goals of the country.
Based on the above-mentioned premise, the objective of this assignment is to prepare a policy framework and implementation guidelines to advocate for establishing and expanding Early Childhood Learning services for all children in Somalia. This policy framework would be developed based on both secondary analysis and primary data collection. The development of this framework should be highly consultative and include community and religious leaders and other line ministries ls
Duties and Responsibilities
The Consultant will complete following tasks
· The Draft 5-page policy framework ready for lay out and printing that will summarize a longer, 20-page document that will be developed as a source document for reference in electronic format and including an executive summary of no more than 4 pages.
· Detailed implementation guideline, with timeline and accountability framework, a 30-page document in electronic format.
15 December 2019 – 15 February 2020
The consultancy will be managed by department of schools in MoECHE with technical supervision by ECE Task Force members.
Required expertise, qualifications and competencies
· Advanced university degree in social sciences, development or related discipline is essential
· 10 years’ experience preferably in policy development and analysis
· Proven expertise in Early Childhood Development policy, curriculum, programs and training
· Familiarity with the context of early childhood at country level and at international level particularly, of the countries in East Africa
· Strong research and excellent writing skills in English
· Excellent organizational skills
· Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
· Knowing Somali language will be an added advantage
· Ability to be flexible and respond to changes to text as part of the review and feedback process;
· Strong interpersonal skills, able to communicate and work with diverse people
· Participate effectively in team-based, information-sharing environment, collaborating and cooperating effectively with others;
· Focus and result oriented
The payment schedule will be as a lump sum based on work performed. The payment schedule will be linked to each key milestone/deliverable
All payment based on acceptance of the deliverables
Termination of Contract
This Contract shall commence on the Commencement Date and terminate upon payment of the final instalment of the contract cost; provided however that either Party may exercise its right to early termination in accordance with MoECHE contractual guideline
21 Nov 2019