Position Title: Technical Advisor / Program Manager – Program Implementation, Somalia (TA-PM)
Responsible to: Country Director
Status: Full-time, 30% Nairobi and 70% Somalia.
Supervision: Project Manager
Date issued: Tuesday 11th August 2020
A. About VSF-Germany
Vétérinaires Sans Frontières Germany (VSFG) is a non-profit organization that has been working in the Greater Horn of Africa since 1998. VSFG’s headquarter is in Berlin with a regional office in Nairobi, Kenya. VSFG is legally registered and operates in Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, and Uganda. VSFG works with people whose livelihoods is based or closely linked to livestock, namely: pastoral and agro-pastoral communities, and service providers in the livestock sector including fisheries, apiculture, local authorities, and partners.
VSFG is an expert in livestock production and marketing, animal health, livelihoods, and food security, agriculture, natural resource management, and conflict management, disaster risk reduction and emergency preparedness and response as well as women‘s empowerment, protection and nutrition-sensitive programming, advocacy, capacity building, and policy dialogue. To effectively implement its program in Somalia VSFG is seeking to employ a Technical Advisor / Program Manager – who has adequate expertise and experience in the delivery of humanitarian and development interventions with funding from the donor(s).
B. Overall responsibilities of the Technical Advisor- Programme Implementation (TA/PM)
· The TA/PM is responsible for providing overall leadership, managerial, and coordination of program implementation to ensure timely and quality achievements of the project’s outputs, results and objectives.
· Leading the planning processes, including ensuring quarterly financial forecasts and procurement plans are prepared and submitted on time to relevant departments at the Nairobi level.
· As overall in charge at filed level, the TA/PM will liaise with community leaders, beneficiaries, host government officials, and UN/multi-sector focal points, representing VSF G in all relevant sector coordination forums and provide feedback to field staff and the Country Director (CD).
· The TA/PM is responsible for ensuring the full implementation of all the tools developed for the monitoring and tracking of progress and ensuring quality of delivery in line with project(s) design.
· He/She will review Technical reports from Project Managers/Project officers to ensure technical quality and compliance with the project proposal before submission to the CD.
· He/She will review financial reports from Field Accounts Officer at field level to ensure accuracy of expenditure and compliance with a budget plan(s) before submission to the Country Finance Officer for further action.
· He/She will be responsible to ensure that financial and project management data is uploaded in the online systems -Dynamics 356 and WebMo- use in a timely manner for monitoring and evaluation.
· As a member of the Country Management Team, the TA/PM will assist the CD in shaping the strategic direction in Somalia County to ensure the achievement of desired and implementation targets. This includes holding monthly management meetings at the field office to plan and share information.
· He/she will directly supervise the Project Managers, Project Officers, field finance team, support staff, and responsible for capacity building of staff through mentoring.
· He/she will be responsible for the overall management of the security of staff and assets in the field including liaison with local security apparatus on safe field travels and deployments and providing regular updates to RON on the safety and welfare of staff using standard templates for reporting
C. Specific key roles
Strengthening Project’s Networking and Coordination
· Coordinate with stakeholders- donors, government departments, international agencies, and NGOs on the project activities in Somalia.
· Participate in relevant project(s) sector coordination forums/meetings
· Facilitate clear and technical linkages between Nairobi and the field ensuring adequate participation in VSFG in coordination forums.
· Represent team in coordination meetings at the project, country, or regional level.
· Assist the CD in addressing leadership and technical issues and shaping the strategic direction of the Programme in Somalia, ensuring quality delivery of project activities.
· Support development of the project(s) monitoring and reporting tools to ensure the delivery of planned activities.
· Assess the needs and propose potential interventions and areas of project expansion (sectors, locations, as appropriate).
· In collaboration with technical staff and stakeholders assess local the needs and propose potential interventions in; sectors, locations as appropriate.
· Lead Programme Team meetings contributing to problem-solving and decision-making on strategic and technical issues.
· Organize Country Team meetings to enable staff to contribute to problem-solving and decision-making processes on strategic and technical issues.
· Review project(s) documents from Project officers; narrative and financial reports and visibility materials to ensure technical quality.
· Conduct performance technical appraisals for technical project staff.
· Conduct performance appraisals of technical and support staff.**
· With support from CD, lead negotiations with local authorities, community, and partners in the project(s) locations.
· Facilitate interactions between the Field staff and in-country actors – NGOs, UN Agencies e.g. OCHA, FAO, to secure in-county funding from such actors.
· Proactively analyze humanitarian trends and opportunities and facilitate needs assessment in a timely manner to inform desired adjustments in the project(s).
· Work with project managers and officers to develop key lessons from projects for dissemination to relevant stakeholders and donors.
· Jointly with staff and stakeholders to develop an exit strategy to ensure the sustainability of each project’s achievements.
Project technical Implementation and Accountability
· Ensure implementation of projects is compliant with VSF-G Country Strategy, sectoral standards, and humanitarian and development guidelines in the county.
· Provide guidance and support to staff and local partners to ensure technical quality in the implementation of the project(s).
· Monitor project(s) implementation and promptly resolving any issues that may affect project performance.
· Liaise with M&E Officer to develop adequate M&E tools and methodologies are in place and harmonized for monitoring and reporting.
· Monitor budget and expenditure with Country Accountant and Project Accountant for compliance with VSF G and donor financial guidelines.
· Provide opportunities for effective sharing of learning and innovations through meetings of project teams.
· Conduct visits to project, locations to monitor performance, and share progress with CD.
· Provide feedback to staff on project progress and gaps identified for improvement and capacity building as necessary.
· Design and manage plans of reporting for all projects with contribution from technical staff.
· Review narrative and financial reports from Project Manager and Officer(s) to ensure quality and compliance with indicators in the proposal, VSF G, and donor guidelines before submission to the CD.
· Provide regular project updates to CD or HQ for sharing with stakeholders and donors.
Qualifications, skills, and experience we are seeking.
· At least a Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences, Project Management, Agriculture, Natural Resources Management, Veterinary Medicine, or Animal Production or Public Health with experience in managing food security and resilience-building programs. A Master’s degree qualification will confer an added advantage.
· 5-7 years’ experience working with INGO on humanitarian and development issues with roles in program design, development, and accountability.
· Strong leadership skills, experience in planning and management of programs, and the ability to manage change.
· Knowledge of results-based management in humanitarian and development, program concepts frameworks, standards, and strategies.
· Experience in developing logical framework analysis, M & E systems, and implementation in community settings.
· Demonstrated experience in program design, planning, and implementation using participatory methodologies.
· Proven skills in communications, presentation, interpersonal relations, fluency in written and spoken English.
· Experience in working and coordinating with NGOs, government agencies, and local stakeholders.
· Proven experience in implementing projects funded by donors including, BMZ, IFAD, AICS, EU, ECHO, UN-OCHA, FAO, DFID, USAID, etc will be of added value.
· Not less than 5 years of work experience in Somalia or similar conflict environments.
How to apply
How to Apply: Interested persons to submit their application and CV to: Head of Human Resources, VSF-Germany
E-mail addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating the position; “Technical Advisor /Program Manager –Somalia” not later than Monday, 31st August 2020. Assessment of applications received will be assessed on a rolling basis due to urgency to fill the position and shortlisting will be done once suitable applicants are identified. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Note: VSFG is an equal opportunity employer and qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.