The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization, founded in 1956, that works in more than 35 countries around the world. DRC has been operating in Somalia for more than twenty years, where we assist returnees, IDPs and displacement-affected communities in all three regions (Somaliland, Puntland, and Central and Southern Somalia) through protection, service delivery and livelihoods activities to enhance their self-reliance and expand opportunities for a dignified life. DRC provides both humanitarian assistance and longer-term development support to respond to the needs of communities affected by acute crisis as well as those in protracted displacement situations. In the past year, DRC’s strategic focus has shifted towards more durable solutions-oriented programming, linking displacement affected communities to longer-term initiatives to build resilience and recovery.
DRC/ DDG is currently implementing a Community Safety project in Bardera, Elwak and Garbaharey funded by the Somalia Stability Fund (SSF). SSF Projects Manager is responsible for the content and quality of all DRC/DDG SSF funded projects. The Projects Manager is responsible for technical leadership and administrative oversight of the program, as well as the implementation of policy-level projects.
Overall Purpose of the role
Working under overall leadership and guidance of the WASH (shelter & Community Infrastructure Services) Manager, the incumbent is expected to perform as Project Officer (Civil Engineer) to provide technical, administrative and monitoring of the construction of a number of mid to small-scale civil and building works by the Contractor under the Somali Stability Fund (SSF). The Project Officer will ensure that the construction works are done according to the civil plans, structural designs and drawings in full compliance with the Somalia/land National Building Codes where applicable and use of international standards as is widely the case in Somalia/land. The officer will ensure use of high-quality construction materials as indicated in the BOQs and construction proposal and ensure the projects are completed and handed over to the concerned authority within the stipulated timeframe.
- Act as the main Technical Adviser to the Contractor and supervise the works of the Site Engineer, Manager, Technicians, Craftsmen, Masons, Plumbers and other related workers and maintain precise and regular journal of work progress.
- Manage, monitor, interpret and explain the building plan, drawing and design documents supplied by the concerned authority.
- Maintain constant coordination between the Contractor and the DRC/DDG management.
- Maintain constant liaison with the Contractor and their representatives (Architects, Engineers and Surveyors), including attending regular meetings to ensure the pace of work progress.
- Survey the construction site and ensure that construction activities are carried out within demarcated land boundary and protect the site from external encroachment.
- Maintain liaison with the local authority (where appropriate to the project) and sort out emerging issues in consultation with WASH Manager and his assignees to ensure uninterrupted progress of the construction works.
- Ensure that the construction activities are carried out according to the plans, designs and drawings and ascertain accuracy of the qualities, quantities and proportions of the construction materials are precisely maintained.
- Ensure that all materials used and works performed are in accordance with the specifications indicated in the contract document.
- Review and agree on the quantity, quality and cost of the materials used for construction of the building by the Contractor.
- Ensure that the works timely progress in order to meet agreed deadlines.
- Oversee quality control, health and safety matters of workers on the construction site.
- Prepare various narratives, technical and financial reports as required.
- Resolve any unforeseen technical difficulties and other problems that may arise in the process of the work in consultation with the WASH Manager or his assignee.
Experience, Educational qualifications & technical competencies
- Minimum 5 years practical working experience in civil construction in national/ international company/organization.
- BSc in Civil Engineering from any reputed public university.
- Proven knowledge and use of CAD software for civil and buildings’ design will be an advantage
- Thorough knowledge of national and international building codes and civil works related standards
- Strong competence in English and Somali language – written and communication literacy
- Proven skills in computer programs (Word, Excel, as well as proficiency in Auto CAD and Archi CAD)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent skills in report writing and meeting dead lines
- Demonstrated ability to work in conflict and post-conflict areas
- To establish effective working relations with the other team members and other stakeholders.
- Ability to work under pressure and culturally sensitive
- Good Communication skills in English required.
- Fluency in Somali local languages/dialects
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
- Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
- Availability: November 2019
- Duty station: Garbaharey and supporting Bardere as well
- Reporting to: SSF Project Manager
- Duration: Six Month Contract
The position is open to Nationals ONLY
- Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
- Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework (http://www.drc.dk/HAF.4265.0.html). All DRC staff must be committed to the Red Cross Code of Conduct, as well as the Core Humanitarian Standards.
Qualified candidates are invited to access the full job description and the requirements for this position under vacancies at www.drc.dk. Please submit applications online using this link by 26th October, 2019.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com