Terms of References of third-party monitoring for textbook delivery verification in Galmudug State, Jubbaland State, South West State, Hirshabelle State and Benadir Administration
Education Sector Program Implementation Grant (ESPIG)
To assess and verify the delivery of 1 million school textbooks/teacher guides to approximately 900 schools across Galmudug, Jubbaland, South West, Hirshabelle and Benadir Administration.
15th January to 15th February 2020
The Education Sector Plan Implementation Grant (ESPIG) for the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) is a contribution to the implementation of the Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP) 2018-2020. The overall objective of the ESPIG is to improve equitable access to quality education outcomes for all Somali primary school children through improving capacity of the FGS and Federal Member States (FMS) and monitoring, accountability and communication. The ESPIG will maximize the potential of development investments in education in Somalia through the combination of four key principles:
I. Use of evidence-based approaches to address key gaps in access, learning and retention, and inform tailored efforts to reach marginalized groups.
II. Creation of conditions to implement solutions that address the intersection of multiple barriers to access, retention and learning.
III. Generation of synergies with privately managed schools/ networks, development actors and the private sector to ensure complementarity of efforts and leverage existing capacity/ investment.
IV. Capacity building of federal, state, regional and district-level actors for a cohesive, efficient and dynamic approach to the design and implementation of solution.
As part of the program’s commitment in improving access to quality education, the FGS and its federal member states are distributing 1 million textbooks and 102,134 teacher guides respectively to approximately 900 schools in the federal member states of Galmudug, Hirshabelle, South West, Jubbaland and Benadir administration. As such, the Grant Agent (CARE International) is seeking to recruit an external firm to conduct third party monitoring to verify the delivery of the textbooks and teacher guides to the target schools in the Federal Member States and Benadir Administration.
Objectives and scope of work
The main objective of the consultancy is to (a) verify the delivery of the target number of textbooks/teacher guides to the target schools; (b) to verify schools management of the textbooks; (c) to verify the use of the textbooks by students at the schools; (d) to make specific and appropriate recommendations based on the findings. The selected firm will be expected to:
· Assess and verify the textbooks/teacher guides delivery against the anticipated target per state;
· Use a combination of onsite visit/direct observation as well as verification through phone calls;
· Conduct the verification at Galmudug, Hirshabelle, Jubbaland, South West and Benadir Administration.
· Engaging relevant stakeholders such as community education committees in the verification exercise.
· Inception report including methodology, tools and detailed work plan.
· Detailed monitoring and verification report detailing the findings per state.
The monitoring and the verification exercise is expected to be completed between 15th January to 15th February 2020.
· In-depth knowledge of Somalia is a must.
· At least five years of progressively responsible relevant work experience in project/programme monitoring and reporting.
· Technical experience in evaluations, assessments and verification work across Somalia.
· Experience in collecting and analyzing qualitative and quantitative data.
Please submit a technical proposal detailing how the verification of the textbooks will be delivered together with a financial proposal with a detailed budget for the verification exercise. Must apply as a firm. Individual applications will not be accepted.
Interested candidates are requested to send their technical and financial proposal document to the email address email@example.com by 21 Nov 2019 indicating “third-party monitoring for textbook delivery verification in Galmudug State, Jubbaland State, South West State, Hirshabelle State and Benadir Administration as subject line. Late applications will not be considered.