To support program implementation, IDLO seeks Somali-English/English-Somali translators to provide general and legal translation services to IDLO Somalia Country Office on an ad hoc basis. Recruited translators will be contracted on a year-long Single Engagement Agreement with IDLO, under the following deliverables and remuneration terms:
- Translation of single texts of different lengths from English to Somali and vice versa at IDLO’s request. The translator shall translate the full text while maintaining its current format and shall ensure that the translation is correct and as close as possible to the meaning of the original text;
- Translation of legal documents, from English into Somali and vice versa at IDLO’s request. The Contractor shall translate the full text while maintaining its current format and shall ensure that the translation is correct and as close as possible to the meaning of the original text.
- Proof-reading and review of IDLO’s in-house translations as and when needed;
- Assistance on ad hoc translation queries as and when needed;
- The Contractor shall ensure to the extent possible his/her availability to provide the Services during IDLO’s working hours from 9 am until 6:30 pm from Monday to Friday including additional hours (“Additional time”) such as weekends, holidays and evenings as may be required.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Bachelor Degree in Law or a Social Science is required.
- Professional fluency in English and Somali;
- 5+ years of experiences as a professional English-Somali & Somali-English translator preferably with an International Organization.
- Experience in interpretation of legal documents is required.
- Written Sample of translating training products and legal documents. Additionally, provide names and points of contact information for three references for whom translation has been done.
- Ability to speak fluently and write in a clear and concise manner ensuring a high degree of accuracy to the meaning, spirit and nuance of the original text.
- Ability to meet deadlines and communicate with IDLO effectively on status of translations. Should be available for comments and corrections.
- Strong inter-personal skills
- Excellent communication and analytical skills
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously within a diverse team and environment
Translation shall be paid according to the following rate schedule:
- USD 40.50 per page (a page is considered 270 words and it is equal to USD 15 for every 100 words) for general translation. This shall be calculated according to the original document’s word count;
- USD 50 per page (a page is considered 270 words and it is equal to USD 18.50 for every 100 words) for legal translation (intended as high-quality translation of legal documents and materials requiring a command of specific legal language such as laws, legal training manuals, contracts, regulations and legal provisions). This shall be calculated according to the original document’s word count;
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for testing.