|CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements.
In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
|Overview of position
- IOM is an implementing partner for the Federal Govt. of Somalia’s (FGoS) National Program for the Treatment & Handling of Disengaged Combatants. The National Program maintains the objective of establishing a comprehensive process that allows for low risk disengaged combatants & women associated with Al Shabab to socially & economically reintegrate into society through transition centres in Kismayo & Baidoa. This support includes the provision of basic education, civic education, religious counselling & life skills, business, financial literacy & vocational training.
- The IOM Disarmament, Demobilisation & Reintegration (DDR) unit is seeking skilled automotive technicians to work as an experienced Tuk Tuk Repair Instructor providing full time vocational instruction to male beneficiaries in Baidoa. This position is jointly managed by the South West State of Somalia (SWSS) govt. & IOM, with dual reporting requirements.
- This contract receives day to day & week to week oversight from the Administrative Manager (Livelihoods Team Leader) with support from technical staff (Livelihood Project Officer, Education Coordinator) & other staff. Overall contract performance management is jointly monitored & evaluated by IOM & the govt. partner. IOM will undertake contracting obligations & remuneration in close collaboration with SWSS Ministry of Internal Security.
This is a full time position as per Somali Labour Laws based in Baidoa. The specific duties & responsibilities of the role include:
Teach Tuk Tuk repair skills:
- Design & deliver a Tuk Tuk repair curriculum based on student needs & learning level.
- Develop & implement lesson plans, training materials & organise class time so that demonstration, instruction, hands on practice, review & final activities can be accomplished effectively & efficiently.
- Teach technical skills & knowledge to provide students with the competence to become skilled in the field of Tuk Tuk repair.
- Create, update & maintain training materials, manuals, handouts & practice exercises.
- Provide a stimulating learning environment, instruct in a manner that develops students’ confidence & their abilities, integrate a variety of teaching strategies & curriculum content.
- Assemble mechanical components & perform repairs on daily basis on multi branded Tuk Tuks.
- Provide auto mechanic engineering support to students.
- Maintain equipment & tools in good condition.
- Conduct regular industry research to stay current with Tuk Tuk manufacturers’ updates & new repair tools / products & techniques for problem solving & decision making, provide assistance to students in the effective use of these systems.
- Ensure students are properly prepared for available & emerging jobs.
- Inspect Tuk Tuk engines & mechanical / electrical components to diagnose issues accurately.
- Teach students to repair or replace broken or dysfunctional parts & fix issues of the Tuk Tuk.
- Maintain standardised student assessments & record keeping system for student progress & attendance, assess, monitor, record & report on the learning needs, progress & achievements of students.
- Work with Social Workers to ensure that student case files are maintained properly & student progress reports are reviewed periodically to reflect individual progress towards goals.
- Give explanations, reasonable & appropriate assignments & directions clearly.
- Identify skill gaps for training to tackle current & future problem solving.
- Perform other duties related to the DDR program as assigned by supervisor.
- This contract receives day to day & week to week oversight from the Administrative Manager (Livelihoods Team Leader) with support from technical staff (Livelihood Project Officer, Education Coordinator) & other staff.
- Overall contract performance management is jointly monitored & evaluated by IOM & the govt. partner. IOM will undertake contracting obligations & remuneration in close collaboration with SWSS Ministry of Internal Security.
– Certified Technical & Vocational Training (TVET) Diploma in automobile repair (required).
– Basic literacy & numeracy skills (required).
– High School Diploma / Bachelor of Science / relevant discipline or equivalent qualification (preferred).
– Must have a valid driver’s license.
– Experience of working in the South West State of Somalia’s regions is highly preferred.
– At least 2 years of experience in assembling mechanical components & performing repairs on Tuk Tuks or automobiles.
Required technical knowledge:
– Well versed in complex mechanical systems of Tuk Tuks / automobiles.
– Understanding of automobiles, central processing units & operating systems.
– Must have hands on experience in overhauling engines, manual & automatic transmission & fault finding skill sets of automobiles.
– Practical & theoretical understanding of effective teaching & learning strategies.
– Previous experience working with youth at risk & or the return &reintegration at risk groups a considerable advantage.
– Must be fluent in Somali & Maay, working knowledge of English is desirable.
– Accountability: Takes responsibility for action & manages constructive criticism.
– Client orientation: Maintains high customer service standards at all times.
– Performance management: Identifies ways & implements actions to improve performance of self & others.
– Professionalism: Displays mastery of the profession & conducts oneself in a professional manner at all times.
– Teamwork: Contributes to a collegial team environment.
This role does not have any team management responsibility.
- This vacancy is open to 2nd tier candidates.
- The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements & security clearances.
- Qualified females are strongly encouraged to apply for this role.
- This role has been posted on 23.2.2020, candidates interested in applying for this role need to apply on or before 8.3.2020.