CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements.
In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
Overview of Position
Our client is undertaking feasibility studies and detailed design of priority urban roads in City of Kismayo and City of Baidoa, a component of the Somali Urban Investment Planning Project (SUIPP) supported by the World Bank. The project activities are undertaken in a close working relationship with Kismayo and Baidoa Municipalities and the Government partners. Our clients’s designed roads along with drainage structures and other supplementary works are scheduled to be implemented by the Municipalities of the respective location in early 2020.
Kismayo located on coast of Indian Ocean has major storm water drainage issues. Informal drainage system is not functional, area lacks proper storm water drainage disposal arrangements and sections of city roads are subject to flooding after a moderate rainfall event. Road improvements planned under upcoming project has the potential to worsen the existing situation with risks to the roads assets and inconvenience to the residents, unless the existing storm water flooding issue is addressed through engineered drainage system.
The Urban Drainage Engineer is responsible for the review of existing drainage system functionality, assess the system improvement requirements and develop improvement measures including detailed designs for immediate implementation in most critical areas of the city. In addition, he/she is responsible for the preparation of a concept note outlining recommended medium to long term interventions to minimize storm water flooding of the city, aiming to draw the attention of the Municipality and the funding programs.
More specific roles of the job are outlined below.
- Study the existing storm water drainage flows of the city using all available data and information including (but not limited to) past studies, rainfall data, catchment data, contour maps as well as information collected through local authorities and community consultation.
- Review the performance of the existing storm water drainage system including disposal facilities considering the hydraulic capacity, assets condition, maintenance requirements, storm water quality management etc. and report on the system performance identifying most critical components requiring immediate interventions (both maintenance and capital works).
- Develop the practical and optimum drainage solutions for the existing storm water flooding of the city, targeting the most critical sections those require immediate interventions. Prepare designs including design drawings, specifications, bill of quantities to the required standard to be included in tender documents.
- Site visits, community consultation, Government liaison as part of drainage assessment and solutions developments, and provide reporting to the client internal design team with advice on technical solutions to be incorporated to the overall work package.
- preparation of a concept note on Kismayo city drainage investigation findings and recommended actions for addressing the drainage issue both in medium term and long term.
- Undertake other related tasks as agreed with the Team Leader.
Technical aspects to the Design Team Leader
Management aspects to the Project Manager.
Competency in English both spoken and writing is essential
Skills and Experience:
•Minimum of 8 years of investigation and design experience in urban drainage systems in developing countries context is required. The experience shall cover open drains systems, pumped applications and drainage disposal facilities.
•Experience in urban hydrology applications, hydraulic computations, pumps selections etc related to drainage systems is required.
•Registration as a Professional Engineer with a recognized institution is required.
•Relevant working experience in Somalia / East Africa is desirable.
Qualified females are highly encouraged to apply.
In order to apply, kindly proceed with creating a candidate profile on the following link: https://recruitmentctg.force.com/xcdrecruit__Site_ExternalPositionDetail…