Action Contre la Faim (Action Against Hunger) has been conducting humanitarian programs in Somalia since May 1992. Currently, Action Against Hunger is conducting its humanitarian activities in Somalia focused on treating and preventing malnutrition, increasing access to clean water and appropriate sanitation, strengthening the food-security, livelihoods and thus boosting the resilience of communities in Somalia as well as emergency response via program bases in Somalia.
The Positions and responsibilities:
Action Against Hunger Somalia is looking for a Somali national to fill the position of WASH Technician. The position will be based in Garowe-Somalia. The incumbent will report to the WASH Officer.
The WASH Technician’s core responsibilities will include but not limited to the following:
Objective 1: Prepare the worksites:
- Check the quality of the required equipment and materials;
- Check the materials requests, receive them and check the quality of materials received;
- Ensure the proper use of the tools required for each worksite;
- Supervise the loan of tools to beneficiaries and contractors.
Objective 2: Supervise the worksites:
- Supervise the daily supply of equipment and materials to the worksites;
- Control the usage of equipment and materials;
- Control the digging of trenches, building of foundations, slabs and superstructures of all WASH facilities;
- Ensure the quality of materials used and the quality of work done;
- Ensure the proper advancement of the work;
- Control the maintenance of the tools by the workers;
- Write daily/weekly activity progress reports.
Objective 3: Manage the project team (or support contractor’s team):
- Organize the team’s work: optimize the distribution of tasks according to the members’ potential;
- Ensure the team’s technical support.
Objective 4: Relay Action Against Hunger activities and objectives to the communities and partners:
- Develop contacts and explain to stakeholders and to populations the activities and the objectives of the programs;
- Represent the organization in dealing with the beneficiaries, with the agreement of the direct line manager;
- Inform local authorities about all aspects of the programs;
- Involve and inform the communities about the implementation of the program;
- Work in collaboration with the stakeholders.
Qualifications, experience and competencies
- Technical training in masonry, plumbing, carpentry or related fields with 2 years construction experience.
- High School Leaving Certificate with 5 years professional experience in construction works
- Skills in building sanitary and hydraulic infrastructures (water network, wells, berkads, borehole, sanitary facilities, drainage, irrigation)
- Skills in plumbing
- Skills in maintenance of construction tools and equipment
- Organizational ability;Dynamism; Flexibility
- Fluent in Somali and English (oral and writing)
- Any other official duty that may be assigned by your supervisor from time in response
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications, should include a CV with cover letter and 3 professional references to be sent via email to:
firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 25th October 2019 clearly mentioning the position on the subject line**. RE:** WASH Technician- Garowe
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
This position is open to Somalia nationals