Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty. This means that we tackle the inequality that keeps people poor. Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. When disaster strikes, we help people build better lives for themselves and for others. We take on issues like land rights, climate change and discrimination against women. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can enjoy life free from poverty.
We are an international confederation of 20 organisations (affiliates) plus the Oxfam International Secretariat, all working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries. All our work is led by our core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness, Courage, Solidarity and Equality. To read more about our values please visit our website at: https://www.oxfamnovib.nl/donors-partners/about-oxfam/our-story
Oxfam Novib Somalia / Somaliland is looking for a BUSINESS SUPPORT MANAGER (Interim)
- Deadline for applications: 25 February 2022
- Duty station: Hargeisa, with travel to other offices in Somalia/Somaliland
- Type of contract: National / International
- Contract duration: Fixed term contract for 12 months
- Work schedule: Full-time (40 hours per week)
- Reports to: Country Director
- Staff reporting to this position: Finance Coordinator, Partnership & Program Administrator Accountant and Logistics Coordinators
- Type of Posting: Single Posting
- Salary & Scale: €3.235,= to €4.976,= / Oxfam Novib’s scale 709 (Int Grading C1)
- Start date: 1 March 2022
OBJECTIVE OF THE TEAM
To provide a professional, business focussed finance, HR, IT and logistics service, delivering a proactive solutions based approach for resolving issues and ensuring that the operational business requirements are effectively managed to deliver organisational results, and support the achievement of program outcomes.
OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
The purpose of the job is to contribute actively to the development of country plans and strategies, which are aligned to corporate objectives and priorities. The job holder will be responsible for the implementation of financial, Security, IT, and logistics strategies, policies and procedures and the provision of quality information to the program teams, committed teams in the respective functions and to support program teams and other support functions. To Manage resources – budget and people, ensuring quality reports and timelines are adhered to and optimal utilization of resources.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
Provide strategic direction
- Provides professional advice to managers and partners on finance, human resources, logistics, IT, system administration.
- Provide assistance to the Country Funding Coordinator on resolving donor contract management issues.
- Influences the development of strategy and ensures and supports operational implementation.
- Develops solutions to diverse and complex problems within organizational policy.
- Interprets and applies operational and specialist information in a variety of forms from a variety of sources.
- Flexibility to resolve challenges within corporate or divisional parameters, with moderate scope.
- Impact of this role is significant within the country program in terms of business processes being improved and simplified.
- Implements best practice and ensures adherence to all relevant national laws and guidelines.
- Works collaboratively across various teams within the country program.
- Participate in the strategic management of the Somalia program, by serving on the management team.
- To provide leadership to the business services team, act as a business partner to Oxfam in Somalia, and manage all business process in compliance with Oxfam policy and local law.
- Participate and contribute to country strategic planning processes, ensuring financial management and risk implications are considered in all processes.
- Ensure that the country financial management systems & records are adequate in order to identify and protect the assets & interest of the organization.
- Maintain and update systems for efficient & effective management of assets.
- Ensure adequate controls over cash & bank management are constantly monitored & updated to minimize the risk of fraud or misappropriation.**
- Closely monitor all financial activities, and keep the Country Director/Country Management Team advised of all situations, which have the potential for a negative impact on internal controls or financial management performance.
- Maintain an effective & efficient system of internal controls, which comply with Oxfam Novib financial guidelines.
- Review existing systems on an on-going basis in order to maintain an adequate level of internal controls, in compliance with Oxfam’s policies and procedures.
- Oversee compilation of financial records & accounts in a timely and accurate fashion and in line with international accounting standards & donor regulations.
- Ensure that the country financial operations comply with legal & statutory requirements e.g. audit & financial reporting to all relevant national authorities.
- Lead the preparation of annual & revised Country budget and donor budgets including:
- Budget template preparation,
- Consolidation of the budget packs,
- Completion of the budget submission to Hague
- Keep up to date with donor regulations and ensure that all controls are in place to meet donor compliance.
- Manage internal and external audits that are carried out as per Oxfam requirements; support the Country Director to prepare management responses; ensure all agreed remedial actions are undertaken in a timely manner.
- Undergo regular and random checks for compliance.
- Manage timely & accurate preparation of data for monthly management accounts for Program accountant, budget-holders, and Country Management to ensure that they can monitor the budget utilization and take appropriate action on any significant variances.
- Review and completion of the financial reporting pack prepared by Accountant including country commentary and senior management team (SMT) approval and dealing with feedback from head office jointly with Finance, Accountant. Support the timely & accurate preparation of donor reports for external donors / agencies.
- Reconcile all balance sheet items on a monthly basis, in accordance with Oxfam Worldwide policies & procedures based on transactions details provided by Accountant.
- Provide financial analysis where necessary especially on maximizing available funds and advice to CD.
- To periodically monitor program spending and performance of the Country office and revise where needed the (financial) planning. To record this in the management information systems. In cooperation with the Country Director, prepare the country office input for the Balance Score Card (BSC).
Procurement & Logistics
- Support the Supply and Logistics Coordinator in design and implementation of effective supply chain and logistics management strategies working with the Country Director with respect to identifying required interventions, and the resolution of attendant issues.
- Together with the Supply and Logistics Coordinator, manage costs and ensure that budgets are not eroded through unwarranted procurement expenses
- Support the team to embed organisational systems, standards and structures into logistics &procurement functions, including strategic advice, clarity on policy, procedures and ways of working.
- Exercise approval and signature authority within defined limits for all purchases and contract agreements and subject to appropriate approvals.
- Coordinate proposal development, particularly with respect to innovative resource planning and budgeting and realistic estimates related to logistics requirements for support and other costing for support functions.
- Exercise cost efficiency through ensuring framework agreements are in place, and be part of procurement committee.
- Ensure that IT strategy not only incorporates developing effective business solutions and services with the underlying infrastructure but that it underpins the delivery of appropriate technology enabled solutions.
- Ensure continuous follow up to IT process and day-by-day operation that complies with Oxfam minimum standards and policies; promote best practices.
Capacity Building, Partnership and Risk Management
- To identify and coordinate appropriate training for staff and partners in the areas of financial management, human resources, logistics and including effective programming.
- In liaison with Programme team, develop Partnership strategy that takes forward the Change Strategy and translate for local use the new global Partnership Policy.
- Review and where necessary support programs formulate partnership contracts, supplier’s contracts that align to policy and mitigate financial and operational risks
- In collaboration with the Security focal point, to ensure that Oxfam Health and Safety and Security guidelines are implemented.
- To support the program officers and advisors through relevant financial and related contextual information gathering, monitoring situations and consolidating and reviewing proposals as required
- To motivate the support team to work interactively with the program team and to come up with and communicate innovative solutions and systems that allows the program to serve its overall goal. This component is critical to the success of this post.
- Support the CD to achieve the program objectives and reduce risks associated with the program around legality and compliancy issues and alert the CD of any imminent risks.
- This position will deputise for the CD as and when necessary.
Other financial duties and general systems support
- Facilitate internal, external & donor audits.
- Investigate and implement procedures for statutory deductions, social security & taxes are complied with & to liaise with relevant authorities in this respect.
- Actively participate in the SMT meetings and be proactively involved in the decision-making processes.
- Work with the Country Director and the QFC to support development of policies and procedures for procurement, logistics, HR and IT.
- Support training of staff in procurement, budget management and systems policies and procedures as appropriate.
- Preparation of monthly cash flow and ensuring adequate monetary levels in field office
- ACT as the integrity focal point for the country program and ensure regular trainings for Oxfam Staff as well as partners.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Higher education in the field of finance and accounting.
- At least 5 years of experience with a Financial / Business support manager in an international development organisations.
- Excellent knowledge of financial management and auditing.
- Experience in working with financial / bookkeeping software (SAP / Pastel) and banking software.
- Proven experience in leading and managing finance staff, as well as providing training to staff and local organisations.
- Numeracy & attention to detail.
- Customer service orientation.
- Team player.
- Negotiation skills.
- Profound knowledge of International accounting standards, Kenyan and Somali tax laws and labour laws.
- Knowledge of Corporate governance approaches.
- INGO and EU donor experience a must.
- Experience of managing donor grants of SIDA, ECHO, EU, Dutch Government, Embassies, UN, DEC.
- Experiences of working in the Somalia context is an added advantage.
WHAT WE OFFER
Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair, and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. The salary range for this position is set in scale 710 with a salary range between €3.235,= to €4.976,= gross per month.